Resp & Qualifications
This position is responsible for configuring and maintaining the Kubernetes environments with responsibility for the installation, system administration, tuning, disaster recovery, monitoring, audit, problem resolution, and license management. The Engineer will be responsible for a computing environment encompassing multiple software and hardware solutions in a scalable and highly available infrastructure, and administration on multiple cloud platforms (Azure & AWS).
The position requires strong verbal and written communication skills. It requires the ability to multi-task effectively, supporting multiple products, running projects, and troubleshooting seamlessly. It requires an understanding of how the middleware technologies interact with and rely on the operating systems and other supporting infrastructure such as databases, storage, network, and firewalls. Candidate requires strong troubleshooting, project management, and effective communication skills to collaborate with other technical teams, clients, and vendors on complex application and infrastructure designs across multiple internal and external tiers.
- The Middleware Services team is responsible for software components supporting five thousand internal business clients, four million members, and sixty thousand providers across 24 CareFirst locations.
- Responsible for support of infrastructure used for business mission critical applications including Claims Processing, Enrollment, Financial, and Corporate websites and 250+ other applications.
- Assists application developers and other clients with environment creation, application deployments, identification and resolution of problems related to supported middleware technologies. Will help provide 24x7 on-call schedule to provide off-hour support.
- Will be responsible for installation, configuration, and optimization of Kubernetes environments in both AKS and AWS(TKGI), along with Nginx ingress, Istio, and other K8S components as needed.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Under the general direction of the Manager, Middleware Services, the incumbent's accountabilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Middleware Cloud Administration
- Help design, build, implement, and maintain Kubernetes clusters on multiple platforms, including AWS and EKS.
- Establish and enforce best practices for K8S including deployment patterns, sizing, etc. to maintain a highly available environment.
- Cross platform troubleshooting between K8S platforms as well as between K8S and on-premise legacy middleware systems.
- Patch and upgrade K8S and connected components on a consistent basis.
- Implement best practice monitoring and alerting in new and existing environments.
- Review alerts and dashboards for accuracy and effectiveness.
- Integrate with various DevOps tools, including Azure DevOps to establish an appropriate environment lifecycle pattern.
- Create and support ongoing Infrastructure as Code efforts to be able to recreate or upgrade an environment on demand.
- Will be responsible for cross training team members on new technologies and designs.
- Provide support for related K8S components, including Istio, Nginx ingress, and fluentbit.
- Familiarity with Dynatrace and Splunk.
- Design supporting tools for deployments, monitoring, reporting, and other supporting features as needed.
- Familiar with Agile Methodology.
- Middleware Legacy Administration
- Experience with WebSphere Application Server or TIBCO preferred.
- Support integration between K8S and the legacy technologies.
- Stop, Start, Deploy, and troubleshoot issues on legacy technologies as needed.
- Project Management
- Will be expected to lead upgrading and migration efforts.
- Expected to maintain timeline and milestone requirements.
- Coordinate internally and across multiple teams to ensure work is completed.
Position does not have direct reports but is expected to assist in guiding and mentoring less experienced staff. May lead a team of matrixed resources.
Education Level: Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology or Computer Science OR in lieu of a Bachelor's degree, an additional 4 years of relevant work experience is required in addition to the required work experience.
Licenses/Certifications within 180 Days Preferred: ITIL Foundations v3
Experience: 5 years software, hardware and/or systems engineering related experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- Knowledge of programming languages and web based technologies.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability to collaborate to solve technical problems across teams.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Must be able to effectively work in a fast-paced environment with frequently changing priorities, deadlines, and workloads that can be variable for long periods of time. Must be able to meet established deadlines and handle multiple customer service demands from internal and external customers, within set expectations for service excellence. Must be able to effectively communicate and provide positive customer service to every internal and external customer, including customers who may be demanding or otherwise challenging.
- Cloud Platforms – Kubernetes, Nginx, Istio, AKS, TKGI, Azure, and AWS.
- Legacy Middleware –WebSphere Application Server and Liberty, TIBCO Business Works and Business Connect, Apache, IBM MQ, Active MQ, Tomcat.
- DevOps – Azure DevOps, Jira, Jira Align, Subversion, GIT, Ansible, Jenkins, VS Code, Bitbucket
- Programming – Python, Java, YAML, JSON
Department: Bridge Associates - DC
Equal Employment Opportunity
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Hire Range Disclaimer
Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history.
Where To Apply
Please visit our website to apply: www.carefirst.com/careers
Federal Disc/Physical Demand
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
The associate is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The associate must frequently talk and hear. Weights up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted.
Sponsorship in US
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship.