Resp & Qualifications
Under the general supervision of the Supervisor of Financial Reporting, the Financial Reporting Accountant is responsible for the preparation of the company's audited year-end GAAP and STAT statements along with the quarterly/annual regulatory filings with the various insurance departments. In addition, the incumbent is responsible for technical accounting research, preparing monthly financial statements, BSBSA reporting, investment accounting, quarterly finance committee board packages and quarterly disclosure committee packages.
- Assist in the monthly consolidation process and the creation of the monthly financial statements including balance sheet, P&L and cash flow statements. Also responsible for preparing the various income statements, graphs, etc. on a product and market segment basis used in the internal financial statement distributions. Assist in the preparation and compilation of the quarterly finance committee package and supporting schedules.
- Prepare Statutory accounting adjustments to convert GAAP ledger to a statutory basis, preparing supporting documentation, analytical review to ascertain required statutory adjustments, and rolling forward statutory equity. Assist in the preparation of the primary statutory statements (i.e., balance sheet, P&L) included in the Statutory quarterly/annual statements. Utilize knowledge statutory accounting principles (SSAP’s) to ensure financial results are presented accurately.
- Prepare monthly GAAP investment accounting entries and the supporting account reconciliations for investment accounts including posting all cash transactions, bond/stock acquisitions and dispositions and the associated gains/losses, investment income, and bond amortization. Prepare journal entries for quarterly mark to market, convertibles and other-than-temporarily impaired investments. Prepare various ad hoc analysis and reports in support of analyzing Schedule D and investment reporting requirements. On a quarterly basis, responsible for preparing all STAT investment accounting journal entries. Responsible for the preparation of year-end investment notes.
- Assist in the preparation of various exhibits, schedules and supplemental schedules of the annual and quarterly statutory financial statements (insurance blanks) including the investment schedules (Schedules BA, D, DA and E, etc.) and supplemental health care exhibits. Responsible for the preparation and submission of regulatory supplemental schedules to the state insurance departments. Prepare the annual risk-based capital (RBC) filing to NAIC and all reporting submissions to BCBSA.
- Prepare the annual GAAP & STAT Notes to financial statements. Responsible for preparing pension/401k plans financial statements and notes to financial statements. Assist in researching moderately complex accounting issues.
Education: Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance or related field. In lieu of a Bachelor's degree, an additional 4 years of relevant work experience is required in addition to the required work experience.
Experience: 3 years public accounting or corporate financial experience and CPA eligible.
Licenses/Certifications: Certified Public Accountant (CPA) preferred
Salary Range: $59,040 - $117,260