Resp & Qualifications
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to the following:
Identifies sales opportunities and drives profitable sales growth – i.e. analysis of data; recognizing potential leads/opportunities; creation and execution of new sales strategies and programs; and engaging CareFirst business partners in activities.
- Meets or exceeds annual Diversified Benefits enrollment goals working collaboratively across the SBUs with New Business Consultants, Account Executives, Account Managers and internal/external CareFirst business partners.
- Develops and implements Diversified Benefits new sales and retention strategies (i.e. segment and account-specific). Compiles, reviews and analyzes data; creates sales strategies and action plans; implements action plans, collaborating with Sales colleagues appropriately.
- Works closely with Sales and Marketing staff in mining existing medical account inventory to generate leads and developing account specific growth and retention strategies.
- Analyzes broker activity to gauge effectiveness and leverage best practices; identifies and implements innovative ways to motivate producers to sell Diversified Benefits products, directing Sales colleagues appropriately.
Serves as primary point of contact and Subject Matter Expert (SME) for Diversified Benefits Sales amongst CareFirst medical sales reps and throughout the sales process – i.e. marketing, relationship development, proposal and negotiation, underwriting, finalist presentations, implementation, post-sale service support.
- Establishes and maintains relationships at multiple levels with clients, consultants, brokers, administrators.
- Attends sales calls with CareFirst Sales staff and producers for both prospective and new accounts.
- Coordinates and facilitates RFP activity: Interacts directly with the Sales Proposal Unit. Participates in major proposal RFP responses. Ensures that competitive advantages are highlighted in proposals and presentations. Works with Underwriting to ensure proposed pricing is competitive.
- Closes the Diversified Benefits sale directly or in partnership with the CareFirst medical Sales lead.
- Supports and consults with CareFirst Sales team members to ensure each assigned account renews annually; and aggressively pursues growth within groups by developing and implementing account-specific benefit and retention strategies.
- Provides education and subject matter expertise to brokers, consultants, accounts and employees of CareFirst accounts. Attends finalist presentations, client health fairs and open enrollment meetings.
Diversified Benefits voice of customer and market expertise
Acts as an internal product ambassador for Diversified Benefits.
- Provides market expertise to CareFirst; gathers/reports competitive information that will help shape product offerings in order for CareFirst to be competitive.
- Performs other duties as assigned, which include (but are not limited to): projecting and reporting enrollment figures; serving on internal and external committees to represent the Diversified Benefits business within SBU’s and/or represent CareFirst within the industry.
- Works with Training and Marketing teams to create training plans and continuing education for CareFirst Sales teams and brokers. Delivers training, as appropriate.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: Will provide direction and guidance to brokers, full-service and general producers thru a matrixed environment, as well as closely coordinating sales support activities.
A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience and a minimum of five years of Diversified Benefits sales experience with an emphasis on strategic and consultative selling is required. Must have extensive knowledge of the Diversified Benefits industry (Life and AD&D, Disability, Critical Illness, Accident, etc.). The incumbent must have a thorough knowledge of the status of the local and national marketplaces as well as the competition. A thorough understanding of broker/administrator roles and systems; compensation arrangements; underwriting structures and principles; group insurance financial and funding mechanisms; product delivery systems; and product design is strongly preferred.
The incumbent must be able to sell through an intermediary and be able to negotiate and work independently to make decisions concerning contract sales and renewals.
A current health and life license for any of the mid-Atlantic jurisdictions is required.
Required Professional Competencies:
- Must possess proven Diversified Benefits sales skills
- Effective interpersonal /relationship skills and management skills are a must.
- Ability to analyze competitive sales information and develop effective sales strategies to retain existing business and acquire new business.
- Demonstrate strong consultative skills and have the proven ability to demonstrate good instincts and make solid business judgments.
- Additional requirements include: negotiation skills, creative thinking and problem solving, effective organizational skills, excellent written and verbal communication skills, excellent group presentation skills and personal computer skills.
- The ability to direct and develop a successful team in a highly matrixed environment is necessary.
- Ability to influence without formal managerial role or authority
- Ability to manage across organizational boundaries and diverse clients
- Strong strategic focus but with the ability to balance tactical and strategic responsibilities
- Must be able to effectively work in a fast-paced environment with frequently changing priorities, deadlines, and workloads that can be variable for long periods of time.
- Must be able to meet established deadlines and handle multiple customer service demands from internal and external customers, within set expectations for service excellence.
- Must be able to effectively communicate and provide positive customer service to every internal and external customer, including customers who may be demanding or otherwise challenging.
Experience in a similar sales/consultant position with a competitor or another Blue Cross Blue Shield plan is preferred.
Department: Large Group Diversified Benefits
Equal Employment Opportunity
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Hire Range Disclaimer
Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history.
Where To Apply
Please visit our website to apply: www.carefirst.com/careers
Please apply before: 4/20/2018
Federal Disc/Physical Demand
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
The associate is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The associate must frequently talk and hear. Weights up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted.
Sponsorship in US
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship