Resp & Qualifications
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES: Under the direction of the Manager of IT Distributed Storage, the incumbent’s accountabilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Storage Infrastructure Subject Area Expert
This position's primary responsibility is to provide design, manage, support, maintain availability, performance and security of the distributed storage infrastructure, tasks including:
- Install, maintain, administer and troubleshoot backup hardware and software: Avamar, TSM, Data Domain and Data Protection Advisor.
- Implement and support systems that meet or exceed SLA for server availability.
- Implement proactive monitoring of Storage, SAN and Backup infrastructure and implement automated resolution tasks where applicable.
- Install, configure, maintain, administer and troubleshoot Storage hardware and software: Pure, Dell/EMC, IBM and NetApp.
- Install, maintain, administer and troubleshoot Storage Area Network environment: Brocade DCXs, BNA and Virtual Instruments.
- Maintain tight security controls so only authorized access to all Distributed Storage infrastructure
- Monitor for current security deficits and apply in a timely fashion
- Ensure hardware and software configurations are performance tuned to provide maximum performance to applications.
- Work with developers to tune their application code.
- Review automated capacity reports and take appropriate action if necessary.
- Manage troubleshooting escalations from junior engineers.
- Use available resources to research, resolve and/or recommend solutions for the most complex and critical systems.
- Implement Disaster Recovery Strategy between primary Data Center and Disaster Recovery Site.
- Provide storage infrastructure support for Enterprise applications such as Oracle, SqlServer WebSphere, TIBCO, HTTP/IHS, Pega.
- Adhere to standard Service Level Agreements (SLA) for day-to-day support. Ensure that change management process is properly followed for environment changes.
- Provide excellent customer service to all customers, both internal and external. Exhibit poise and confidence when working with and communicating to our customers and vendors.
- Act as an interface to members of the IT Infrastructure team, keeping management and peers informed, and disseminating information as needed. Utilize strong troubleshooting capabilities to diagnose and resolve problems, and escalate to next level support as necessary.
- Work independently and cross functionally with other to resolve problems.
2. Process and Technical Improvements and Automation
- Implement process and procedures as well as Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) documentation enhancing and standardizing the support of the Distributed Storage infrastructure.
- Ensure that storage, backups and SAN comply with established policies, standards, licensing agreements and configuration guidelines.
- Without direction, look for process and technical improvements.
- Stay current in new IT technologies to maintain high level subject matter expertise.
- Research latest technical articles, talk with different vendors to understand the changing storage landscape and recommend strategy adjustments.
- Clearly document and articulate the justification of a proof of concept(POC). Then create test plan to compare products and validate objectives have been achieved.
- Develop new technical skills through a combination of research, instructor lead training and self-training.
- Lead the review, design and implementation of new technologies that improve infrastructure or reduce cost.
- Use automation for repetitive administrative tasks.
3. Project Management & Presentation skills
Provide project management over the technical aspects of implementing infrastructure projects and major release upgrades for CareFirst’s largest, most complex and critical systems, with minimal managerial oversite.
- Properly follow a project life cycle.
- Develop project plans.
- Complete all appropriate documentation and notifications to obtain resolution within the established timeframes.
- Provide input to the development of corporate IT standards and policies to ensure compatibility and integration throughout the company.
- Complete project work within budget constraints, if they exist
- Review or manage subcontractor and vendor evaluation studies pertaining to the IT organization, IT Infrastructure and Architectures.
- Compose and communicate to senior leadership and management
- Take highly technical concepts and organize into PowerPoint presentations
- When presenting, properly articulate technical concepts and recommendations.
Provide mentoring and coaching to team members and other technical areas.
- Assist management and provide input to performance plans and reviews.
- Actively train new associates and contractors on CareFirst technologies and operating procedures.
- Develop, update and maintains documentation including operation manuals, inventories and SOP’s.
- Documentation developed must be able to be executed by junior team members.
- Bachelor’s Degree Information Technology (or equivalent educational focus 7 to 10 years) is required. Equivalent experience supporting complex and critical IT environments will be evaluated in lieu of these requirements where applicable.
- Must be able to work 24x7 on-call shift and can travel to all CareFirst offices.
- The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
Specialized skills (Hardware and software):
- Recognized SME in the enterprise and mid-tier class storage arena with focus on: Pure, Dell/EMC, IBM and NetApp.
- Experience designing, implementing and administrating enterprise and mid-tier storage infrastructures.
- Expert level knowledge and experience managing and troubleshooting Storage Area Network (SAN) specifically Brocade Director Class hardware.
- Recognized SME in enterprise Backup technologies utilizing Avamar, TSM and Data Domain with emphasis on Avamar/Data Domain.
- Expert level knowledge and experience managing and troubleshooting Netapp eSeries and File arrays.
- Demonstrated working knowledge/experience with enterprise operating systems and technology such as Linux, Windows, VMware, Oracle, SQL etc.
- Excellent analytical and troubleshooting skills to effectively analyze broadly defined practices and policies in selecting methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria to obtain the desired results.
- Self-motivated and self-starter and can complete tasks with little management direction.
- Ability to effectively adapt to rapidly changing technology and apply it to business needs, developing and delivering IT centric projects using, where appropriate, leading-edge technologies.
- Excellent oral and written communications; an ability to present and discuss technical information in an organized, methodical manner that establishes rapport, persuades others, and gains understanding.
Department: Systems Management
Equal Employment Opportunity
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Hire Range Disclaimer
Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history.
Where To Apply
Please visit our website to apply: www.carefirst.com/careers
Please apply before: 5/26/2018
Federal Disc/Physical Demand
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that much be met by an employee to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position successfully. Requirements may be modified to accommodate individuals with disabilities.
The employee is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The employee must frequently talk and hear. The functions of this position may also require physical activity such as bending, stooping and kneeling, as well as lifting equipment of weights up to 50 lbs.
Sponsorship in US
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship