Resp & Qualifications
Under the direction of the Director, the incumbent’s accountabilities include, but are not limited to the following:
Internal Audit Services
- Plans, directs and oversees a comprehensive program of internal audit services to evaluate the adequacy of internal controls to mitigate business risk, and ensure operational efficiency and cost effectiveness, to include financial, operational, information technology, systems development, and regulatory compliance audits, relating to FEP within all CareFirst entities.
- Conducts periodic risk assessment to identify and maintain a relevant audit universe, and to develop, maintain and execute a Master Audit and Assurance Plan for (1) CareFirst and (2) the FEPOC as required by BCBSA/OPM
- Provides business process and internal control expertise for monitoring specific corporate IT and SDLC initiatives, and managing the FEP IT/SDLC/Financial/Operations audit team, in analyzing and reviewing internal controls and/or management controls for strengths and weaknesses within FEP business operations, infrastructure and security, ensuring that these environments are effectively designed and tested, and have adequate internal controls in place.
- Utilizes statistical sampling and/or computer assisted audit techniques, as appropriate, and ensures that work papers clearly define and detail audit findings to provide assurance that the audited areas/operations are effectively reviewed.
- Plans, directs and manages special reviews, control self-assessments, investigations, and business advisory services as requested by management or mandated by the FEPDO and OPM/OIG.
- Participates in and advises on FEP SOC 1 and SOC 2 initiatives and other external audits of FEP, and assists management in understanding the identified findings/weaknesses, preparing audit responses, and establishing a viable control environment to effectively mitigate risk.
- Utilizes appropriate management/leadership skills for effective audit negotiation, conflict management, delegation, problem solving, coaching, and teamwork development. Manages quarterly audit follow-up on FEP internal audit issues/recommendations to CareFirst Audit & Compliance Audit Committee.
- Maintains a highly visible and collaborative relationship with business operations and provides business process and internal control expertise by monitoring and managing the business process to ensure that appropriate internal control framework (COSO, COBIT and NIST) and IT and enterprise business risk and mitigation processes are appropriately imbedded in the FEP audit function.
- Performs special reviews, self-assessments, and management requests, including FEPDO and OPM/OIG mandated audits, to address internal control weaknesses and provide audit advice on appropriate risk mitigation practices.
- Develops and maintains a highly visible “partnership” relationship with various FEP entities including the FEPDO/Association, OPM OIG and Audit/Resolution staff, and other BCBS Plan audit managements, to enhance CareFirst’s corporate image and reputation.
- Delivers to management written reports outlining recommendations regarding policy and internal control procedures, in order to improve the internal control environment, compliance, and operating efficiency.
- Assists in periodic presentation to the CFI Audit & Compliance Committee and the Association’s Audit Committee, as required under the SBP Contract.
- Assists in managing all administrative and supervisory functions of the Department, including but not limited to, budgets, salaries, travel, training, and implementing corporate policies and procedures, staff performance, establishing performance objectives and evaluation, training, counseling, and implementing corrective action plans as needed.
- Educates management/associates on the importance of effective internal controls and compliance and maintains technical proficiency by participating in necessary personal training and development.
- Promotes corporate image, professionalism, and values of the CareFirst audit function.
Personal Attributes: Drive, commitment, self-confidence, insight, judgment, integrity, ethics, continuous personal improvement, responsiveness, timeliness, learning capacity, flexibility and adaptability
Direct Reports Directly manages a team of two senior auditor/advisor positions, and works collaboratively with three managers/supervisors and several professional and technical staff responsible for the performance and validation functions relating to CFMI, GHMSI, and the FEP Operations Center.
- BA/BS Degree in business/finance/Information Technology, or equivalent work experience and related course work.
- At least one professional certification, such as a CPA, CIA, CISA, CISSP, or a graduate degree.
- At least six years of experience in internal audit or public accounting or comparable experience (audit quality assurance, project management, etc.), with increasing supervisory responsibility, including two years supervisory experience with advanced managerial/leadership skills
- Strong Financial, Operational, and IT/SDLC auditing skills.
- Strong understanding of internal control framework (COSO, COBIT and NIST) and IT and enterprise business risk and mitigation processes.
- Working knowledge/experience in advance hardware/software infrastructure, complex distributed service architecture and integrated systems.
- Excellent oral, written, and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated thorough understanding of internal controls and accounting.
- Working knowledge of internal auditing concepts and methodologies.
- In-depth knowledge of IT systems development life cycle and project management methodologies, as well as sophisticated computer hardware and software systems.
- Proven, effective interpersonal, communication, and motivational skills.
- Analytical skills, good judgment and strong decision making skills.
- Excellent organizational, time management, prioritization, and delegation skills.
- Ability to negotiate complex issues at all levels, both internally and externally.
- Must be able to effectively work in a fast-paced environment with frequently changing priorities, deadlines, and workloads that can be variable for long periods of time. Must be able to meet established deadlines and handle multiple customer service demands from internal and external customers, within set expectations for service excellence.
- Must be able to effectively communicate and provide positive customer service to every internal and external customer, including customers who may be demanding or otherwise challenging.
- Knowledge of FEP finance/business operations, processing systems, and IT infrastructure.
- Working knowledge of current industry innovations such as cloud computing, iService, etc.
- Knowledge and auditing experience in the HealthCare Industry.
- Knowledge and high level of understanding of Federal, State, and local regulatory compliance.
- Knowledge of FEHBAR and Federal Acquisition Regulations, and Federal contracting requirements.
- Knowledge of Government auditing and accounting principles, and Federal procurement requirements/guidelines.
- Experience/knowledge of different SDLC methodologies, including Waterfall, Agile, Iterative, etc.
Department:Local Federal Employee Program and Federal Employee Program Operations Center
Equal Employment Opportunity
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Hire Range Disclaimer
Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history.
Where To Apply
Please visit our website to apply: www.carefirst.com/careers
Please apply before: 6/30/2018
Federal Disc/Physical Demand
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
The associate is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The associate must talk, see and listen, and hear.
The physical demands described are representative of those needed by an associate to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position successfully. Requirements may be modified to accommodate individuals with disabilities.
Sponsorship in US
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship