Resp & Qualifications
PRINCIPAL RESPONSIBILITIES: Under the direction of the Manager/Supervisor of Data Center Operations, responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Day to Day Functions
- Daily monitoring of IT infrastructure and applications, as well as managing and maintaining the supporting technologies to ensure peak efficiency and reliability.
- Serve as backup for Shift Lead for a DCO monitoring shift and be responsible for completing the Shift Summary sheet for review and approval by oncoming shift DCO Lead.
- Provide real-time monitoring for both Mainframe and Distributed systems in order to proactively detect and prevent service disruption.
- Responsible to diagnose and troubleshoot complex problems through resolution.
- Ensure proper procedures are followed to introduce changes and fixes into the operating environment and production libraries in order to ensure the lowest possible error rate.
- Provide timely notification of Level 2 system and application support teams as necessary. Independently works with system monitoring and diagnostic tools to ensure optimal performance of operating systems.
- Initiate and coordinate HealthCheck calls for problem identification and resolution.
- Create or alter new and existing jobs and job schedules on the mainframe, Windows, and UNIX environments using the CareFirst Scheduling package(s).
- Perform job restarts with needed overrides and correct JCL syntax.
- Monitor the Scheduler queues to ensure job completion and/or error corrections have been performed.
- Update Scheduler Base Calendars to reflect current years processing and Holiday schedule.
- Build AGENT capabilities to communicate scheduling requirements across platforms.
- Contributes to the implementation of new technology and tools to increase productivity and performance with job scheduling at CareFirst.
- Support upgrades and new releases to applications, platforms, and the scheduling product(s).
- Develops, updates, and maintains operations systems manuals, documentations, policies, inventories, written procedures relative to installing, configuration, maintaining, and using Operating Systems, subsystems software, scheduling, and information ensuring compliance with Corporate security and audit regulations.
- Contributes to the establishment of SLAs and Metrics, monitoring performance against requirements to ensure performance targets are met.
- Provide timely information for audit requests for Data Center Operations.
- Follow IT Operations guidelines for audit reply review and approval.
10% Technology Consulting
- Provide technical assistance to all customers; IT Operations, Service Desk, and Application Programming areas to leverage technology and resolve issues/problems.
- Provides 365x24x7 on call support for assigned products and services.
- Uses available resources to research, resolve and recommend solutions for the complex and critical systems.
- Collects and trends data and metrics options for DCO reporting.
- Assists with daily system administration tasks for EDCS products and services to ensure that are functioning properly.
- Leads maintenance and upgrade efforts for EDCS products and services.
- Works with vendor technical support centers when troubleshooting product based issues.
- Work along with other IT engineers on day-to-day tasks and projects.
- Participates in Data Center Operations efforts for disaster recovery/business resumption initiatives and during Disaster Recovery Exercises.
- Provides project management support and leadership for Enterprise Data Center Services and IT Operations which includes:
- properly following a project life cycle
- the development and updating of project plans
- completing all assigned tasks within established timeframes
- completing all appropriate documentation and notifications
- Will serve as a project manager or project resource as assigned meeting or exceeding target deliverables for EDCS and IT Operations projects.
- Continual improvement of technical skill sets across mainframe and distributed technologies through training and conferences, or industry best practices.
- Provides cross training of skills and processes to less experienced staff.
24x7x365 Support. Must be able to work flexible day or night shifts and hours, Sunday through Saturday, and Holidays. Position is subject to being "on call" for after-hours support situations. Travel between all CareFirst locations may be required.
- This position requires a Bachelor’s Degree – IT Technology Field or equivalent experience/training and a minimum 5 years related experience in data processing in a mainframe, midrange and distributed computer environment. Previous experience should include operational monitoring of multi-mainframe-systems and distributing platform computing with experience in providing first/second level problem resolution in a fast-paced environment, and dealing directly with clients in the resolution of these problems. The individual must have strong experience in Z/OS Operating System and Operational Software. Working knowledge of standard Microsoft Office products is required. Ability to work within the UNIX and Windows environments using basic commands to navigate system availability and problem investigation. Provides project management support for Enterprise Data Center Services and IT Operations, which includes properly following a project life cycle, the development and updating of project plans, completing all appropriate documentation and notifications in order to obtain resolution within the established timeframes. Must possess strong knowledge and skills in CA7 Job Scheduler functionality.
Preferred: ITIL Foundations Certification, Data Center Management Professional Certification (CDCMP), Project Management Professional Certification (PMP).
- Thorough knowledge of CA7, CICS, DB2 BASICS, DFHSM, FTP, HMC, ISPF, JCL, JES2, NDM, NET MON, OPS MVS, SAR, TMON, TIVOLI, TPX, AFP, TSO, Visio, MVS Utilities, CLIST and REXX.
- Base UNIX and Windows commands and structure.
- Knowledge of DB2 commands, functions, control tables and DB2 subsystems, DB2 Stored Procedures and some understanding of data sharing.
- Strong CA7 skills to create and alter new and existing jobs and job schedules.
- Experience in meeting project deliverables on time with quality results.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and analytical skills.
- Capable in diagnosing and resolving complex problems using experience and standard tools and methods such as creating system dumps, trace analysis, and vendor support.
- Strong written and communication skills.
- Ability to maintain composure while working under pressure during major network and system emergencies.
- Proven ability to work within a team of technical and business professionals and work independently.
- Must be adaptable to change and able to coach less experienced staff.
- Knowledge to monitor and modify HSM, and manage ICF catalogs. Understanding of DFSMS, DFHSM, IDCAMS, VSAM, TSM, and ABARS concepts.
- Knowledge with SAN technology and distributed storage management concepts.
- Ability to assist in Network monitoring activities.
- Knowledge of TCP/IP, VTAM, and Network Topology.
Department: Customer Support Center
Equal Employment Opportunity
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Hire Range Disclaimer
Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history.
Where To Apply
Please visit our website to apply: www.carefirst.com/careers
Please apply before: 7/14/2018
Federal Disc/Physical Demand
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position successfully. Requirements may be modified to accommodate individuals with disabilities.
The employee is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. This position is also subject to being "on call" for emergency situations requiring immediate resolution. Travel between all CareFirst locations may be required. The functions of this position may also require physical activity such as bending, stooping and kneeling, as well as lifting equipment of weights up to 50 lbs. This position is essential to the 24x7x365 production operation of the CareFirst Data Center, as such is exempt from emergency building closings.
Sponsorship in US
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship