Resp & Qualifications
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES: may include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Assesses, calculates and specifies the conditions under which CareFirst is willing to accept risk on group life and disability business for prospective and in-force customers. This includes, but is not limited to, the review and analysis of risk criteria, demographic data, financial data, rating formulas, case specific experience, product filings and statutory requirements.
2. Independently applies Underwriting judgment, formulates pricing decisions, negotiates within their authority limit, and handles standard reporting requests. Proactively makes recommendations on cases and identifies creative solutions.
3. Independently communicates and negotiates with internal partners and is an underwriting resource for external negotiations with customers/brokers as needed. Coordinates daily activity with external vendor partner maintaining updated records and case files in accordance with underwriting and records policies & procedures.
4. Acts as a subject matter expert on Life and Disability products within the Underwriting department. Serves as a resource for less experienced underwriters and is actively involved in the training/mentoring process.
5. Demonstrates an awareness of regional trends, competitive landscape and factors that influence the marketplace and regulatory environment. (10%)
6. Actively contributes to larger projects as a team member, demonstrating an understanding of both the upstream and downstream impacts of changes within and outside of Underwriting, may lead smaller scope projects within Underwriting.
Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
1. Three years of Underwriting experience, specific to Group Life or Disability products
2. Strong time management and organizational skills
3. Results oriented with a focus on profitable growth
4. Willingness to mentor less experienced Underwriters
5. Excellent Excel skills
6. Ability to develop strong working relationships
7. Understands and adheres to policies and procedures
8. Exhibits behaviors aligned with leadership competencies
Abilities/Skills: Must be analytical’ adept at problem solving; logical; able to draw on past experiences particularly in drawing “out of book” conclusions; strong oral and written communication skills, with the ability to impart and present complex information to a diverse audience; strong negotiation skills with the ability to induce successful outcomes; strong interpersonal skills; independent; organized; able to prioritize; possess strong PC application skills and excellent math skills; and able to be effective in a rapidly changing and challenging environment.
Must be able to effectively work in a fast-paced environment with frequently changing priorities, deadlines, and workloads that can be variable for long periods of time. Must be able to meet established deadlines and handle multiple customer service demands from internal and external customers, within set expectations for service excellence. Must be able to effectively communicate and provide positive customer service to every internal and external customer, including customers who may be demanding or otherwise challenging.
1. Five years of Underwriting experience, specific to Group Life and/or Disability products
2. Previous experience mentoring Underwriters
3. Working knowledge of the Mid-Atlantic market
4. Prior experience working with additional product lines (ie Medical, Pharmacy, Dental, Vision)
Department: Mid Marketing Underwriting
Equal Employment Opportunity
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Hire Range Disclaimer
Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history.
Where To Apply
Please visit our website to apply: www.carefirst.com/careers
Please apply before: 11/18/2018
Federal Disc/Physical Demand
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly to Federal health care programs.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position successfully. Requirements may be modified to accommodate individuals with disabilities.
The employee is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The employee must frequently talk and hear. Weights of up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted.
Sponsorship in US
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship