Resp & Qualifications
Under the direction of the Director, Financial Planning and Analysis and Treasury, principal accountabilities Include but are not limited to the following:
Management of Financial Planning Department:
Responsible for ownership of the planning/forecasting function and management of the Financial Planning Team. Oversees extensive analytical review of planning information/data/reports in development of corporate financial projections for senior management and Board of Directors. This includes overseeing the creation of financial models used to analyze data and YTD performance in addition to leading collaboration with other areas of the Company to develop forecasting assumptions. This also includes producing presentations for senior management and presenting modeling results directly to Finance VP leadership and CFO. Supporting analyses include rate/volume, trend and recast, and run rate analysis. This also involves managing the creation of various ad-hoc reports related to the Plan/Forecast. This covers all areas of the Company, i.e. Indemnity and HMO.
Presentations to Executive Management:
Owns the development of materials for CEO, full Board of Directors meetings, Strategic Planning Committee meetings, and Executive Committee meetings. Board and Committee meeting materials typically consist of data, charts, graphs and supporting explanatory/analytical narrative regarding: trends/challenges in the healthcare industry; the company’s annual and three-year Plan; performance vs. Plan and compared to other Blues or competition; financial, enrollment, and operational metrics analysis; explanation and status of key initiatives; and key issues facing CareFirst. Development of materials requires a strong understanding of key aspects of CareFirst’s operation and the metrics used to measure corporate and divisional performance. Works closely with Strategy and Planning, Marketing, Medical, SBUs, IT, and Public Policy.
Long-Term Financial Modeling:
Owns the development of high-level, long-term financial forecasts including various scenarios as directed by senior management. Ensures that assumptions used are reasonable and in-line with the latest healthcare reform information available. Also responsible for managing the in-depth analysis of potential long-term financial impacts. The incumbent will be expected to present modeling results to senior management on a regular basis.
Ad-Hoc Financial Analysis:
Responsible for performing more complex financial analyses and reports for management as assigned. This could include, but is not limited to annual reporting for S&P and AFF, market segment analysis, financial statement analysis, and RFPs. This involves examining and interpreting data, working with other areas of the Company, and presenting and explaining analyses to management. This also involves a working knowledge of financial models and capital budgeting techniques. Also responsible for producing reports and information timely, accurately, and efficiently for management.
SBU Financial Review Meetings:
Manages the team’s development of supporting analyses, forecasts, and presentations to CareFirst’s Strategic Business Units (SBUs). Provides variance from Plan explanations, dashboards of key metrics, and best guess forecast projections. Helps facilitate obtaining answers to SBU follow-up questions from the appropriate contacts in Finance.
Responsible for tracking new developments in healthcare reform which will impact Financial Planning. This includes overseeing FP&A research, attending meetings, and communicating to other areas within the organization about potential impacts. This also includes keeping management up to date on all information.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: Responsible for managing two professional level associates, providing coaching and training, defining goals and objectives, and motivating the staff toward goal attainment. The position will also comanage one additional Senior Analyst (e.g., GDP, ADP associate), who will directly report to the Director of FP&A.
• Bachelor’s degree with focus in a quantitative and analytical discipline (e.g., Mathematics, Finance, Economics, Statistics, Actuarial Science).
• 5-7 years of experience as a leader in Financial Planning and Analysis or closely related experience that draws upon analytical abilities.
• 2-3 years of experience managing staff
• Advanced Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint skills
• Strong analytical skills, including the ability to synthesize and create a cohesive picture from a wide variety information types and sources as well as to assess strategic implications.
• Demonstrated success in management experience, providing coaching and training to associates.
• Ability to build cooperative, productive relationships with internal clients and information sources.
• Strong facilitation skills and the ability to take a leadership role with both peers and those more senior.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills, with the ability to effectively communicate complex issues and findings in writing and orally to CEO, Board, executive, and peer audiences.
• Strong project management and organizational skills with keen attention to detail.
• Independent and self-starter. Proven ability to produce insightful and reliable analyses in a fast-paced, high-pressure, deadline oriented environment.
• Demonstrated proficiency using on-line databases and internet.
• Ability to prepare ad-hoc analysis, experience studies, and reports.
• Must demonstrate flexibility, innovation and problem-solving skills and resourcefulness.
• Must be able to effectively work in a fast-paced environment with frequently changing priorities, deadlines, and workloads that can be variable for long periods of time. Must be able to meet established deadlines and handle multiple customer serviced and from internal and external customers, within set expectations for service excellence. Must be able to effectively communicate and provide positive customer service to every internal and external customer, including customers who may be demanding or otherwise challenging.
• MBA or equivalent advanced degree with focus in a quantitative and analytical discipline (e.g., Mathematics, Finance, Economics, Statistics, Actuarial Science).
• Knowledge of CareFirst organization, data sources, and key metrics.
• Understanding of healthcare marketplace dynamics and healthcare financial and operational reporting.
• Creation and maintenance of a network of personal contacts both within CareFirst and in the external health care community for sources of information.
Department: Portfolio & Cash Management
Equal Employment Opportunity
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Hire Range Disclaimer
Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history.
Where To Apply
Please visit our website to apply: www.carefirst.com/careers
Please apply before: 11/1/2018
Federal Disc/Physical Demand
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
The associate is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The associate must frequently talk and hear. Weights up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted.
Sponsorship in US
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship