Resp & Qualifications
PURPOSE: Performs systems analysis, design, project management and provides technical support for CareFirst’s complex, heterogenous Information Technology computing environments. Systems Engineers are accountable for many software and hardware solutions supporting over: five thousand internal business clients, three million members, and sixty thousand providers across twenty-two CareFirst locations. Computing environments consist of over thirteen hundred software products, six hundred eighty servers and one hundred eighty two Terabytes of storage.
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES: Under the direction of the Manager of System Software and Technical Support, the incumbent’s accountabilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Ensures that all software or systems for which they are responsible are monitored and tuned to ensure acceptable levels of performance and resource utilization, ensures that the software is utilizing all appropriate functions and features, timely and accurate reporting on performance, utilization and feature use as requested.
2. Provides technical assistance to Operations, Applications, Business Clients and the Help Desk in order to resolve production schedules or problems. Provides 24x7 oncall support for assigned systems and software as applicable. Uses available resources to research, resolve and recommend solutions for the most complex and critical systems.
3. Provides project management support regarding most technical aspects of implementing project release upgrades for assigned systems which includes: properly following a project life cycle, the development of project plans, completing all appropriate documentation and notifications in order to obtain resolution within the established timeframes. Contributes to the development of corporate IT standards and policies to ensure compatibility and integration throughout the IT department . Provides input into subcontracting and vendor evaluation studies pertaining to the IT organization, IT Infrastructure and Architectures.
4. Performs installation of software and hardware environments in a timely manner in keeping with current release levels. Follows and maintains all Corporate Change Control and Audit requirements. Creates and maintains schedules for software maintenance and upgrades. For assigned products and systems:
5. Particpates in and contributes to technical discussion within their team and shares their technical expertise to others’ activities. Is a member of a matrix team of people who have responsibility for strategy and development, including systems and application development, vendor management, and legacy systems integration. Communicates between key IT groups and the customer community via participation in meetings and the creation of status reporting mechanisms (weekly, monthly, and quarterly).
This position is subject to a Level 6C security requirement.
Required: This position requires a BA/BS in Computer Science and 0-2 years of experience working in a software/hardware support position. Equivalent experience supporting IT environments will be evaluated in lieu of these requirements where applicable.
Abilities/Skills: The incumbent must have strong analytical skills in order to effectively analyze broadly defined practices and policies in selecting methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria to obtain the desired results. Ability to effectively adapt to rapidly changing technology and apply it to business needs, developing and delivering IT centric projects using (where appropriate) leading-edge technology. A working knowledge of installation and maintenance of the systems software as well as the internals of the system in order to produce the best possible system availability and performance. Strong oral and written communications; an ability to present and discuss technical information in a way that establishes rapport, persuades others, and gains understanding along with project management skills.
This position will require twenty four by seven support responsibilities. Incumbents will need to travel among CareFirst’s Corporate locations.
Department:Test Strategy & Architecture
Equal Employment Opportunity
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Hire Range Disclaimer
Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history.
Where To Apply
Please visit our website to apply: www.carefirst.com/careers
Please apply before:3/2/2019
Federal Disc/Physical Demand
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
The associate is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The associate must frequently talk and hear. Weights up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted.
Sponsorship in US
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship