Resp & Qualifications
PURPOSE: The CareFirst Business Intelligence (BI) team is composed of three distinct groups focused on difference functions to support the Data & Informatics department and CareFirst:
- Enterprise Application & Data Integration – Provides external extracts and data integration to support internal and external customer facing applications (Compliance Extract Development, CDI/MDM, Supplement Business Intelligence (SBI) Development, Custom Web Solutions
- BI Infrastructure – Provides base infrastructure and support for CareFirst Business Intelligence platforms (Security, Storage, Databases (Performance Optimization & Monitoring, CBI Development, BI Vendor Application Monitoring
- BI Customer Solutions – Provide reporting and solutions to internal and external customers (PCMH, Quality Score Card, HEDIS, SearchLight & CBI Reporting
- The BI function is comprised of design, integration and development activities that support the diverse and varied processes that make up CareFirst business. The BI Customer Solutions team is composed of two distinct teams focused on different functions to support both external and internal customers with reporting solutions:
Cube and Reporting Design & Development:
- Develop reporting solutions using Microsoft BI Stack (e.g. Microsoft Technology Stack; Third Party Reporting Tools, etc.)
- Design, develop, integrate and support Online Analytical Processing (OLAP) Cubes using Microsoft Technology Stack
External Reporting Solutions:
- Support monthly CareFirst’s PCMH Quality Scorecard deployment annual Healthcare Effectiveness Data and Information Set (HEDIS) accreditation process through integration of BI and supplemental data with third party applications
- Implement and support third party claims grouper applications that are used in external reporting and internal analytics.
With an emphasis on reporting solutions, CareFirst associates in the BI Technology Engineer job family are expected to have a variety of progressive skills and experience within the field of ETL, report design and data integration. Specifically, the Business Intelligence Technology Engineer's functions include but are not limited to:
- Designing and developing reporting solutions using SSRS, SSAS, SharePoint, Pyramid Analytics, MicroStrategy Mobile and other third party reporting tools
- Performing coding, testing and revisions to existing reports and creates efficient and maintainable reports
- Troubleshooting BI tools, systems and software
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES: Under the general guidance of the Manager of Business Intelligence and direct supervision of the Supervisor the incumbent’s accountabilities include, but are not limited to, the following::
1. Reporting Solutions Development and Support
- The Senior Reporting BI Engineer is responsible for delivering reporting solutions simultaneously across a variety of corporate deliverables within an agressive timeframe. Incumbents are expected to work with multiple teams both external and internal to D&I to develop quality and highly exposed reporting solutions to our customers.
- Drives the design and development of reporting solutions (e.g., SSRS, SharePoint, Pyramid Analytics, and MicroStrategy Mobile)
- Contributes to the development and enhancement of reporting cubes and multi-dimensional data models.
- Ability to manage multiple deliverables independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Engage in all aspects of support, maintenance, and daily/monthly processes for existing reporting and analysis solutions
- Performs coding, testing and revisions to existing reports, and creates efficient and maintainable new reports.
- Work with the appropriate project team to ensure solutions are released in accordance within CareFirst's release schedule which may require off-hours and weekend support.
- Contributes to detailed technical design documentation in accordance with CareFirst's SDLC standards
2.Tool Integration & Support
- The Senior Reporting BI Engineer provides critical data to executive leadership which is used to make decisions that impact our organization and influence decisions that could change the landscape of the healthcare industry.
- Leverages multiple toolsets to deliver critical data in an integrated repository to be consumed by multiple downstream solutions.
- Troubleshoot BI tools, systems, and software; performance-tune applications as necessary.
- Engage in all aspects of support, maintenance, and daily/monthly processes for existing BI tools.
- Working with the vendors and the business SMEs to ensure BI tools are being utilized at its optimal value - ensuring timeliness and accuracy of the of the analytical output.
- Proactively analyzes tools and processes and makes recommendations for improvement.
- Respond to inquiries from all levels of management (which may include Executive Leadership), handles special requests, researches less complex issues and assists in the development of custom reports and reporting solutions (when applicable).
- Provide end-user BI training and hands-on analytic support as required.
3. Training, Research & Development
- Mentor less experienced engineers in the successful design and modeling of business solutions to advance their expertise and skillset
- Participate in the selection, evaluation and recommendation of third party software solutions for business problems.
- Develop business/technical knowledge appropriate to team through reading, research, Computer Based Training (CBT) classroom training, etc.
- Advances own understanding of industry and CareFirst best practices
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Information Systems, or other related IT field or a certification from technical school or equivalent directly related work experience
- 5-8 years of experience with database management systems, ETL systems, business intelligence tools, and systems.
- Development experience in the following: SQL Development (PL/SQL or T-SQL); Technical Documentation; ETL Technologies
- Ability to solve complex scenarios utilizing SQL Language with both PL/SQL and T-SQL)
- Experience in the Microsoft BI toolsets including SSIS/SSRS/SSAS, SharePoint 2013 strongly preferred
- Demonstrated experience building analysis tools and reports that take advantage of OLAP/Dimensional Modeling capabilities.
- Demonstrated experience in Data Warehouse and Business Intelligence concepts and maintenance utilizing MSSQL and Oracle databases, Informatica, SSIS or other ETL software
- Demonstrated experience in Data Warehouse development concepts (Data Modeling, Database Administration, Performance Tuning)
- Solid understanding of data retrieval, transformation, and data warehousing architectural approaches
- Attention to detail and excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and ability to set priorities and handle multiple projects concurrently.
- Extensive PC skills including Microsoft office software such as Word, Excel, and Power Point.
Minimum 4 years experience in the following technologies:
- (MS SQL Server or ORACLE) Relational Database Development
- ETL processes
- SQL Language (either PL/SQL or T-SQL)
- Experience with ETL tools such as SSIS or Informatica
- Experience with BI reporting tools such as Pyramid Analytics, ProClarity, BusinessObjects, PerformancePoint, PowerPivot
- Experience supporting claims grouper applications
- Experience with HEDIS certified software applications
- Healthcare experience preferred
- Microsoft BI Certification
Department: Healthcare Analytics
Equal Employment Opportunity
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Where To Apply
Please visit our website to apply: www.carefirst.com/careers
Please apply before: 3/15/2019
Federal Disc/Physical Demand
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
The associate is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The associate must frequently talk and hear. Weights up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted.
Sponsorship in US
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship