Resp & Qualifications
PURPOSE: The Government Programs Line of Business Portfolio partners with business leaders to drive business/Information Technology (IT) strategy development, solution discovery, service management, risk management and relationship management. The Government Programs (GP) IT Director manages a team of professionals responsible for service delivery through PaaS vendor relationships and or custom developed apps and matrixed IT Organization portfolios for a line of business. Specifically, this position will be accountable for driving the program management and delivery of CareFirst’s entry into the Medicaid Market segments from an IT delivery perspective. This enterprise wide large multi-year project will be conducted to ensure CareFirst’s entry into the Managed Medicaid Market. Upon completion of the project, the director will assume Operation IT responsibilities for supporting these business lines from and IT development and quality assurance aspect once operational. The position will be accountable for driving and managing the multiple program work streams, managing schedules, budgets and deliverable milestones within each of the streams and the overall program. The positions will chair one or more executive stakeholder steering committee, and program and project track committees as required. Using a deep understanding of IT services and capabilities, combined with a solid understanding and connection to the business, the role will be accountable for ensuring that internal and external customers receive the expected business value from their assigned portfolio of Shared Services and IT initiatives and day-to-day activities using quantifiable measures. The incumbent will work with the business areas to carry forward the business needs and concepts (the “what”) and work with IT to determine the “how” in terms of a solution. They will be consulting within all the enterprise technologies and architectures, various software, vendors and trading partners and must be the expert on heavily integrated systems that cut across all lines of business.
These projects and or services consist of multi-location, multiyear initiatives consisting of multiple initiatives and tasks with a portfolio budget from $15-$25+ million.
Working in a matrix model with counterparts from IT Operations Organization, the Government Programs Business Operations area and CareFirst Medical Services, the Director IT Government Programs will ensure that activities across business areas are aligned with one another to provide maximum value to the company and the fulfillment of CareFirst goals. The incumbent provides strategic consulting to IT and business stakeholders in keeping focus on expectations, what is possible to deliver, and on maximizing the value of what is delivered. Interacts directly with internal and external business partners at all levels on the development and implementation of business plans and strategies and is responsible for structuring interaction, communication, processes, and activities.
This position is responsible for serving as the IT Director for the Government Programs line of business for the purpose of business/IT strategy development, solution development, service management, risk management and relationship management. Serves as the business relationship linkage between Government Programs line-of-business, IT Portfolios, IT shared services and IT services vendors. Communicates decisions, priorities and relevant project and operations information to appropriate levels of staff regarding Government Programs business requests, performance, projects and initiatives. Proactively shares knowledge of technology risks and opportunities to build competitive advantage and improve efficiency and effectiveness of Government Programs business. Focuses on strategic initiatives and plans, proactive, anticipatory and driving in nature and provides significant value to Government Programs business. Facilitates the planning and execution of business changes using technology. Serves as lead role in enabling the business to achieve their objectives through the effective use of technology
Duties and Responsibilities
Execute Managed Medicaid Program Delivery: Transitions initiative from idea and business need and requirements to solution through the SDLC process and deliver significant operational improvement, acting as change agent to the organization. Provides leadership to the full project management life cycle and software development life cycle for implementation of highly complex, large scale enterprise wide, strategic IT and business corporate initiatives. Ensures efficient and high quality installation of new software and/or systems enhancements, and monitors all technical aspects of implementing projects. Provides support in identifying the appropriate solutions required by the user areas; assists IT Leadership in performing a needs analysis of the relevant business areas and in matching user needs to system capabilities to ensure systems are easily and quickly integrated into the client’s business environment.
• Tracks initiatives and production against infrastructure capacity (workload, systems resources) and make recommendations to changes in scope and schedule to ensure optimal execution of all approved initiatives.
• Establishes, maintains, and manages the program schedule, reflecting WBS, dependencies, key milestones, critical path, risk mitigation, evolving challenges, and customer needs.
• Establishes and proactively manages program budget according to established CareFirst best practices. Prepares, submits, negotiates and incorporates scope change orders as program evolves.
• Identifies, categorizes and proactively manages program risks using a structured approach.
• Leads the program team, including suppliers, to effectively execute the program plan and successfully deliver within budget and on schedule.
• Conducts internal and external program and technical reviews, status meetings, and reports.
• Develops release / deployment strategy and tactical deployment plans; including inventory and rationalization of all projects, whether proposed or underway; accelerates, decelerates or cancels projects as appropriate. Manages and prioritizes new projects or new requirements, including change orders.
• Monitors and reports to management on the progress of all project activity within the program, including significant milestones, and any conditions, which would affect project cost or schedule. Establishes weekly meeting to review project status and formulate action items.
• Manages Agile Delivery to ensure business outcomes to produce quality at speed in standing up new business line’s technical capabilities, systems and infrastructure.
System Optimization and Vendor Oversight: Ensures that all corporate platforms are supporting internal business areas as well as third party vendors’ business processes in the most efficient and effective manner resulting in continuous improvement. Accountable for multiple RFPs and SOWS to support and track vendor performance. Provides guidance in the development of third party vendor requirements and support day-to-day activities. Ensures organizational readiness in within operational business units in support of standing up the Government Programs Business lines of Medicare Advantage and Medicaid. Drives efficiencies through the delivery and overall program management to insure successful program delivery and ongoing IT support and operations. Directs vendors to ensure SLAs and deliverables are defined and met, ensuring that expected value is realized.
Strategic Direction: Supports Business Information Office for Government Programs and the Executive Vice President of Government Programs in delivering the Managed Medicaid business lines enablement through a corporate wide program management to support future needs of company business processes. Provides insight, functional expertise, technical expertise, and knowledge of the business operations, strategies, priorities and business requirements to support the technical direction of the Medicaid Programs. Forges relationships with both IT and the business to understand issues and concerns, provides the correct level of support, and proactively identify business opportunities.
Staff Management: Manages project and/or program managers within assigned program and/or project. Assigns responsibility for executing project plans to key subordinates after careful assessment of how to utilize their qualifications and strengths. Reviews staffing goals and expectations to ensure that each is consistent and adequate to meet department goals. Evaluates performance of direct reports, generates development plans and sets goals within the context of the corporate policy. Provides coaching, counseling and motivation to team members ensuring staff has the appropriate tools and training. Due to high volume of matrixed resources, provides feedback and performance input to direct managers where appropriate.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: Leads a matrix team of 50-100+ associates and contractors. This position may have a small number of direct reports.
Required Experience, Abilities, Skills: Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Business, or Engineering or equivalent work experience required. Minimum of 8-10 years of IT and business experience in large business transformation - strategic planning, development, implementation, and maintenance of systems, across multiple enterprise-wide hardware and software platforms. Previous technical management and delivery experience in a dynamic high-technology environment is a key to success in this position.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent industry experience
• 12 years diverse business and technology experience with a thorough understanding of business and industry the technology is supporting.
• Responsibility for IT operating budgets and project budgets within the Government programs space, with 6+ years of leadership, team building, coaching and management skills with at least 5 years’ experience in a management position.
• Significant experience with technology leadership in a managed care organization or government programs
• Strategic thinker who builds relationships to drive alignment across all levels of the organization.
• Leadership of multi-discipline, high performance work teams/groups.
• Drive build vs. buy decisions for new capabilities in collaboration with IT and business stakeholders
• Experience in financial management
• Strong and concise written and verbal communication skills including executive level presentations
• Competency in project management and execution of multiple large projects, including managing resources across multiple projects to meet goals.
• Knowledge of sourcing methodologies and governing strategic vendors to ensure cost effective and quality skilled resources
• Ability to lead dynamically and energize multi-discipline work teams to learn and apply new skills/techniques to respond to business needs
• Strong analytical, problem-solving, and conceptual skills.
• Solid teamwork and interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate and persuade customers, associates, and management at all levels and thrive in a cross-functional environment
• Excellent oral and written communications; an ability to present and discuss technical information in a way that establishes rapport, persuades others, and gains understanding. Experience in executive level reporting on strategic initiatives, developing and delivering effective executive presentations.
• Excellent customer service and negotiation skills. Must have the credibility and finesse to deliver honest messages to the Business Information Office, and Executive Vice President of Government Programs and others at the executive level on feasibility of program/project deliverables.
• Proficient in MS Office, Project Management tools, Financial/budget management systems (Oracle, etc.).
• In depth understanding of healthcare with extensive healthcare operations knowledge and experience including claims, service, network, eligibility, web technologies, self-service, electronic transaction requirements, outsource vendor management, and effective working knowledge of enterprise-wide business functions.
• Experience in vendor management, including development of RFPs and SOWs and the tracking and monitoring of service level agreements.
• Incumbent must possess a thorough knowledge and understanding of the company’s business practices and direction, business principles, and business processes, plus familiarity with the company’s products and resources.
• Experience Medicare Advantage and Medicaid Managed Care Programs.
Masters degree in business, IT or other related field or equivalent experience plus Bachelor’s degree.
Department: Testing Center of Excellence
Equal Employment Opportunity
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Hire Range Disclaimer
Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history.
Where To Apply
Please visit our website to apply: www.carefirst.com/careers
Please apply before: 03/28/2019
Federal Disc/Physical Demand
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position successfully. Requirements may be modified to accommodate individuals with disabilities.
The employee is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The employee must frequently talk and hear. Weights of up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted. Travel among CareFirst sites may be required.
Sponsorship in US
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship