Resp & Qualifications
This position is responsible for the technology leadership in support of the CareFirst IT Transformation Program. This entails front, middle and back leadership of services in support of integrated and innovative technology and health care delivery models. Throughout the healthcare industry, we hear a call to transform the way we deliver care and the way we do business. This position is an instrumental position within the IT transformation team, focused on future state architecture and acts as the IT Innovation Catalyst. The group is responsible for aligning future technology capabilities with application and enterprise needs and requirements.
This position enables and drives IT strategy and innovation with a focus on optimization and standardization in support of business, technology and administrative processes. The more we standardize the more variation we can eliminate/manage, and the better care patients will receive. Concurrently, our cost structure will improve, and we profit from a larger chunk of shared savings.
Technology leadership is a key component of any health system’s success in the next 5 years. More importantly, it will depend on the ability and willingness to collaborate and creatively integrate within an across the healthcare ecosystem in order to create sustainable care and deliver models.
1) Lead and manage in a way that supports CareFirst’s vision and purpose.
2) Direct, manage and mentor a technology team of architects, engineers and related operational personnel as needed in a matrixed environment.
3) Develop standards and procedures to ensure quality standards are met and maintained.
4) Extensive engineering expertise in the areas of tools, blueprints, specifications, product maintenance, budgeting and software products.
5) Maintain and optimize budgets to meet goals.
6) Understand and collaborate on complete product lifecycle from concept to execution.
7) Recommends new technology and ideas to improve sprints and efficiency.
8) Apply knowledge of the organizational systems, structures and functions to determine how to best serve the business with practical technology and operational solutions.
9) Develop and expand business relationships/partnerships with internal and external parties including associated business, business associations, and customers.
10) Create a culture that supports and manages change, as well as fosters a work environment that attracts, develops, motivates and retains top talent.
11) Operationalize and support innovative and integrated health care delivery models and insurance products that deliver value along with a differentiated customer experience.
12) Create sustainable technology support models as the industry evolves toward population health and value-based contracting --- and away from fee-for-service reimbursement.
13) Works closely with Enterprise Architecture, Solution Architects, and Infrastructure teams to define and align on key technology principles and standards that encourage technology reuse and a Buy Before Build approach.
14) Develop and articulate a shared vision for the technology function that guides our activities to advance the strategy and business capabilities.
15) Act as the highest-level technology interface with other senior executives, divisions and business units to determine the overall systems deliverables and approaches.
16) Develop the structure and budget required to support cost effective, value add services that demonstrate an understanding for the way the organization uses and leverages technology platforms in support of the future state strategy and healthcare paradigm.
17) Identifies new and existing technology offerings available in the market or in house.
18) Collaborates with business, application and technology leaders to evaluate cloud and technology offerings; helps CareFirst determine if there are any integration needs or challenges.
19) Create and maintain a catalog of technology capabilities and services that encourages reuse and a buy before build approach.
20) Coordinates with enterprise, solution and technical architects to ensure new cloud and partner services align with the technology roadmap.
21) Serve as the leader for Transformation Architecture; this comprises 3-4 senior staff members.
22) Serve as a facilitator and partners with the IT Innovation Catalyst team (IT Digital Factory). This function supports innovators throughout the organization with specific focus on enabling business Innovation and The CareFirst Catalyst process. This team’s primary focus is to Accelerate The Accelerator.
23) Partner with Catalyst teams and act as the IT liaison to build and oversee the process and technical architecture for innovators; this includes, but not limited to, business process model, enabling technology, best practices and techniques that enable CareFirst and The Catalyst paradigm.
24) Designs technology strategy and roadmaps consistent with best practices, processes and procedures to manage work and simplify and leverage existing resources and technology more efficiently.
25) Applies logic, data, experiential knowledge and technology to solve complex problems.
26) Identifies problems, develops and evaluates options for leadership consideration and decisioning.
27) Considers and meets internal customer (IT & Business) needs and expectations in terms of product, service, technology, marketing delivery, and/or support.
28) Build and apply innovation that enables the innovators; the process of generating a common technology model that enables and supports the process model with enabling technology and oversight.
29) Create a foundation that drives, measures and sustains IT process improvement across the following:
a) Integrated data and measurement. This includes the technology and the expertise to gather data, make sense of it, with product specific measurements and service levels.
b) Standardization. This involves standardizing platforms and assets and leveraging them in a way that systematically applies the evidence to CareFirst.
c) Processes and behavior. Standardize organizational work. Implement structure that enables consistent, enterprise-wide deployment of best practices. This entails working with assets organic to Blue Cross as well as external partners in support of new care delivery models and the platforms that deliver these capabilities.
d) Innovation. Create/foster thinking that does not constrain future state technology and business capabilities; ex., API’s, Integration, Data, Telehealth, Consumerism, etc
• Bachelor’s degree.
• At least 10 years in a leadership and/or program level role; of which, health related experience is highly desirable.
• 10-15 years technology experience as an architect, developer or engineer.
• Strong leader with the right mix of IQ and EQ skills along with a demonstrated ability to lead and implement organizational and business-related strategic change activities.
• Must have experiential knowledge of one or more cloud platforms; Amazon Web Services (AWS) or Azure (Microsoft)
• Must have strong technology and organizational change management expertise.
• A proven track record of demonstrated accomplishments in delivering technology solutions that meet business objectives alongside the organizational relationships skills to effectively maneuver through complex political situations.
• Expert level knowledge to develop and lead strategic and operational plans that deliver outstanding customer service.
• Demonstrated ability to develop collaborative relationships with key stakeholders within and outside the organization (ex., technology alliances and outsourcing)
• Experience with strategic planning and execution
• Superior oral and written communications skills and the ability to persuasively communicate complex concepts and programs to stakeholders
• Executive presence with a dynamic professional style and the ability to inspire confidence in the senior leadership team.
• Proficient at managing large, diverse teams and complex programs
• Forward thinking, consumer focused mindset
• Expected to have high ethical standards and embrace Blue Cross’ key values: Respect, Accountability, Imagination, and Courage
An MBA or advanced degree is highly desirable.
Department: PMO Program Management- MD
Equal Employment Opportunity
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Hire Range Disclaimer
Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history.
Where To Apply
Please visit our website to apply: www.carefirst.com/careers
Please apply before: 04/11/2019
Federal Disc/Physical Demand
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
The associate is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The associate must frequently talk and hear. Weights up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted.
Sponsorship in US
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship