Resp & Qualifications
PURPOSE: Manages cross-functional teams responsible for delivering strategic/ regulatory/compliance projects, often crossing organizational boundaries with an enterprise wide reach. Manages all phases of the project life-cycle process, from conception/initiation through closing, in order to deliver a specified information technology or business product, service, system, or result within the constraints of the project scope, resources, time, and budget. The incumbent handles more complex projects that may have enterprise wide impact typically a corporate initiative. May handle multiple projects simultaneously depending on the scope and complexities of projects assigned. May handle an occasional day-to-day project resulting from legislation or compliance audits.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages projects, develops and directs cross-functional business and technical project resources through all phases and activities of projects resulting from Federal and/or State laws and regulations.
- Handles more complex projects that have enterprise wide impact and/or handle corporate initiatives. May handle multiple projects simultaneously depending on the scope and complexities of projects assigned.Works with Mandates and SBU leadership teams to ensure all regulatory and business requirements are captured, and implemented in a cost effective manner while ensuring/maintaining compliance.
- Keeps the Mandates and SBU leadership teams apprised of any risks, issues and dependencies and works with them to mitigate and prioritize resolution.
- Determines Project goals and priorities with management, program manager and/or project sponsors.
- Creates all project planning documentation (including updates, status reports, etc) and follows all CareFirst project methodologies (discovery documents, charters, etc.).
- Translates regulatory requirements and generalized customer business goals and objectives into concrete strategy and tactical plans. Establish and publish clear priorities among project activities to produce a business plan in accordance with the strategic plan, operating budget, capital planning procedures and agency guidance. Coordinates team activities to meet project milestones.
- Works with sponsors and stakeholders to develop a business case to meet the regulatory requirements in the most cost efficient manner possible and presents proposed approach to management for review and approval.
- Works with business leads to define and manage operational readiness. Identifies standards or requirements for change management.
- Participates in change control (for example, reviewing configuration change requests).
- Develops or implements information systems security and entitlement requirements and plans; and ensures appropriate product-related training and documentation are developed and made available to customers.
- Manages and communicates a clear vision of the projects objectives, and motivates the cross functional project team to achieve them; creates a project environment that enables peak performance by the entire team.
- Establishes and publishes clear priorities among project activities. Coordinates team activities to meet project milestones.
- Directs/leads project teams comprised of subject matter experts, technical specialists, and support staff to produce a business plan in accordance with the strategic plan, operating budget, capital planning procedures..
- Prepares, implements, monitors, and updates the project plan. Coordinates with the business owner and upper level management to ensure the actions are consistent with the approved plan. Ensures associated business processes are documented and traceable back to the Project and Regulatory requirements.
- Oversees the design, construction, testing, and implementation of technical and functional specifications of a project technology system. Negotiates Statement of Work/Scope of Services for IT products and services. Ensures the development of information systems testing strategies, plans or scenarios.
2. Regulatory Compliance and Guidance
- Responsible for tracking mandates received by the Mandates department and documenting a plain English interpretation to include the impacts to CareFirst. Responsible for a full understanding of the regulatory foundation of assigned projects and acting in the role of a subject matter expert for assigned mandates to project teams.
- Provide guidance to project teams and business partners to align regulatory requirements to operational requirements in a manner that balances cost and business needs to provide maximum value to CareFirst.
- Ability to articulate the mandate requirements in plain English and explain the impacts to individuals at all levels of the company, from peers to senior level managment.
- Exceptional writing skills with an ability to concisely convey the message to the audience is required.
3. Project Monitoring and Control/Risk Management:
- Analyze risks, establish contingency plans and identify trigger events and responsibility for initiating mitigating action. Accountable for tracking and reporting on progress to plan, cost and schedule reporting and change control.
- Manage change to preserve business plan commitments and/or changing regulatory requirements; initiate review if project must change.
- Communicate risks to stakeholders and business sponsors, escalate issues and risks for mitigation.
- Manage relationships with project stakeholders, including internal and external clients and vendors, keeping stakeholders informed of progress and issues in order to manage expectations on all project requirements and deliverables.
- Facilitate regularly scheduled project meetings for the project team, workgroup, executive steering committee, risk planning and change control. Consult with Regulatory Policy Analysts on compliance requirements.
- Proactively identify changes in work scope and ensure appropriate planning measures are taken with internal and external clients to reassess and amend the scope of work requirement, budget and timeline.
- Provide Executive updates and reports to enable CareFirst Executives to make informed and strategic decisions on project portfolio.
4. Project Staff Management:
- Provides direction, prioritization and motivation to matrixed project team staff, comprised of business/systems analysts in order to manage allocation of resources to meet work fluctuations and time deadlines in the delivery process. Manages a matrix staff of 10-50, scalable to Corporate Initiative.
- Coach to clarify assignments and deliverables; mentor others in project management practices; review quality of work and manage the integration of team members’ work.
- Manage Vendor relations and procurement related to the projects
5. Budget Management:
- Manages the Project Budget with overall budget accountability. Manages project budgets for both expense and capital against the original project budget.
- Provides regularly updates to project sponsor and stakeholders on the status of the budget. Documents reasons for budget excess or shortfall. Maintains current statements of work for all contractors; track and approve contractor invoices in a timely manner. Proactively manages the DPE work order processes, ensuring that estimates are fully supported by work order details.
- This position is subject to Level 6C security requirements.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: Leads a team of 10-50 team members comprised of associates, contractors and DPE resources, utilizing a matrix management system.
- This position requires a Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Business, Regulatory or equivalent work experience required. Four to six years of related regulatory or project management experience in an healthcare or healthcare insurance environment.
- Out of the 4-6 years required, at least 4 years in a combination of the following:
- Progressive broad-based information systems Project Management experience (which could include consulting) with working knowledge of Systems development lifecycle and the Project Management Lifecycle .
- Experience in reading and understanding statutes and regulations related to the healthcare insurance environment and the ability to articulate the impacts of those mandates.
- Ability to lead dynamic, energized, and highly creative multidiscipline high-performance work teams in learning and applying new skills/techniques to respond to business needs.
- Strong leadership skills including: coaching, organizing, integrating, directing, controlling and motivating.
- Ability to effectively adapt to rapidly changing environment with changing requirements.
- Considerable experience managing and delivering Business and IT centric projects using (where appropriate) leading-edge technology, and older legacy systems.
- Health Insurance industry exposure
- Solid teamwork and interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate and persuade customers, employees, and management at all levels and thrive in a cross-functional environment.
- Excellent oral and written communications; an ability to present and discuss technical information in a way that establishes rapport, persuades others, and gains understanding.
- Strong management, business planning, and development skills.
- Exceptional project management skills, effectively arranging resources and managing multiple small to large projects in a cross-functional environment, work flow balancing, activity scheduling, problem resolution and flexibility
- Ability to analyze project needs and determine resources needed to meet objectives, possess good technical skills including scheduling, estimating and costing
- Ability to create original concepts and take heuristic approaches to testing/refining existing theories and to develop new system approaches to solve problems and seize opportunities to sustain busi¬ness success.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and conceptual skills.
- MS Office proficiency.
Preferred: Master’s Degree in a related field. Specific experience with successful large-scale project implementations in a Health Insurance Company. Project Management Institute Certification as Project Management Professional (PMP).
Department: Mandates Implementation- MD
Equal Employment Opportunity
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Hire Range Disclaimer
Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history.
Where To Apply
Please visit our website to apply: www.carefirst.com/careers
Please apply before: 6/30/2019
Federal Disc/Physical Demand
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
The associate is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The associate must frequently talk and hear. Weights up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted.
Sponsorship in US
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship