Resp & Qualifications
PURPOSE: Under the direction of the Program Director, Procurement Contracts & Governance, this position reviews Strategic Sourcing and Procurement contracts to ensure legal, compliance, risk management, and overall contract quality assurance.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Legal Quality Assurance:
- Review, draft and negotiate a variety of complex commercial contracts including but not limited to Consulting Services Agreements, Software License Agreements, SaaS Agreements, Non-Disclosure Agreements, etc.
- Ensures submissions to the Legal department adhere to applicable corporate and regulatory standards, are internally consistent and appropriately address legal and risk considerations.
- Ensure that Information Security, Legal, Risk and Privacy process controls are met.
- Identify, communicate and escalate to the Program Director, Procurement Contracts & Governance (as appropriate) contract issues and material deviations from established contract guidelines.
- Review contracts within an average response time of two (2) days.
- Provide standard language and general guidance on contract terms and conditions.
- Assist sourcing associates with supplier negotiations, as needed.
- Provide leadership and direction to staff in the structuring and drafting of contracts and contract redlines.
- Provide interpretation of contract terms and conditions to sourcing associates and Business Owners.
2. Procurement Risk Management:
- Reviews contracts to assess risk to CareFirst and makes recommendations to Strategic Sourcing and Procurement, Legal, Business Owners and vendors regarding appropriate insurance requirements, indemnification, and limitation of liability provisions to ensure compliance with parameters established by Risk Management.
- Works with the sourcing associates, Legal, Business Owners, Risk Management and other stakeholders to appropriately elevate contract provisions that cannot be agreed upon with the supplier to the appropriate level CareFirst signatory authority.
- Examines, recommends, and negotiates risk and alternative risk control techniques to Risk Management in order to minimize contractual risks and assure corporate protection.
- Obtain and track supplier Certificates of Insurance (COIs) in the Ariba Source-to-Pay system
Required Knowledge/Experience: This position requires a Juris Doctorate or equivalent and 3-5 years of experience in corporate contracting.
- Demonstrated experience with contract drafting, contract terms and conditions and contract negotiations.
- Able to analyze and provide input into commercial terms and other contractual considerations.
- Excellent project & time management skills including, but not limited to risk assessment, workplan development and management.
- Developed analytical, organizational and coordination skills.
- Effective presentation, negotiation and influencing skills to interface with all levels of management and suppliers.
- Able to apply complex problem-solving abilities to achieve problem ad process solutions. Ability to spot, communicate and mitigate issues.
- Flexibility and the ability to work under time constraints, adapt to shifting priorities, to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Must exhibit computer proficiency in Microsoft Office applications including Excel, Word, and Power Point.
- Good time management skills, high level of self-motivation, and attention to detail.
- Must be able to work well in a team environment as well as independently.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills a must.
- Must be able to effectively work in a fast-paced environment with frequently changing priorities, deadlines, and workloads that can be variable for long periods of time. Must be able to meet established deadlines and handle multiple customer service demands from internal and external customers, within set expectations for service excellence.
- Knowledge of current technology trends and their impact on legal and risk requirements and industry best practices (e.g. cloud technology, data privacy, and IT security)
- Knowledge of the FAR.
- Knowledge of Ariba or similar procurement automation tools.
- Thorough understanding of property/casualty/professional liability insurance and risk management principles
Department: Office of Corporate Counsel I
Equal Employment Opportunity
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Hire Range Disclaimer
Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history.
Where To Apply
Please visit our website to apply: www.carefirst.com/careers
Please apply before: 7/30/2019
Federal Disc/Physical Demand
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
The associate is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The associate must frequently talk and hear. Weights up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted.
Sponsorship in US
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship