Resp & Qualifications
Under the general supervision of a Senior Director the manager’s accountabilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Developing business solutions for national Federal Employee insurance program allowing BCBSA FEP Program and CareFirst to maintain a competitive edge in the marketplace. Leads the development of business solutions using architecture-driven development efforts and integrating applications leveraging reusable components and services. Applications can range from web-based applications to hosted batch applications. Leads and mentors highly skilled technical professionals and can lead design efforts if necessary.
2. Participates in strategic planning exercises with senior management and creates multi-year roadmaps for the evolution of FEP applications. The incumbent is accountable for design decisions for their applications which support the strategic direction of the organization and near-term needs of our customers. The incumbent manages activities associated with multi-platform integration of their applications with new technologies and outside vendors. Ensures the quality of their software releases by ensuring standard development and testing practices are followed. Manages staffing requirements within the team to ensure that each is consistent and adequate to meet the division’s strategic objectives. Ensures production application service level requirements are met or exceeded. Plans, coordinates, and supervises activities related to maintaining, supporting, and enhancing production-mode applications that utilize a broad range of technologies and platforms.
3. Establishes strategic plans and applications architecture roadmaps for FEP applications and enforces continuous process improvement practices through the use of concepts such as service-oriented architecture, component and service reuse, knowledge management, root-cause-analysis, and performance metrics. Stays current on recent developments is application architecture and design, development methodologies, and industry best practices to continue to evolve the organization’s development expertise in order to better support our customers’ current and future needs.
4. Manages the baseline budget for their organization and justifies any variances from budget. Evaluates performance of each team member, generates development plans and sets goals within the context of the corporate policy. Must also motivate, coach, counsel and develop team members within the context of the corporate policies and manages the team’s budget. Ensures that staff has appropriate tools and training.
5. Has direct interaction and communication with customers and strategic partners to set strategy for future implementations, manage resolution of production problems, establish service level requirements (SLRs), and provide consulting services related to FEP systems and processes. Monitors, tracks, and reports on incentive and non-incentive SLRs. Communicates with Directors, Vice Presidents and other Corporate management to plan and implement Division Strategic Objectives. The manager also communicates with other IT and client personnel as well as vendors, consultants, auditors, other Blue Cross and Blue Shield Plans, Blue Cross Blue Shield Association (BCBSA), the FEP Director’s Office (FEPDO), and the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) to coordinate and implement system projects and enhancements...
This position is also subject to being "on call" for emergency situations requiring immediate resolution.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: Responsible for managing up to 25 direct reports and contractors staff. Responsible for exempt staff of IT personnel and IT support staff, including but not limited to solutions architects, system designers, software engineers, data analysts and programmers.
Required: This position requires a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information systems or related field or equivalent work experience. Must have 7+ years of technical experience in architecture, systems analysis, programming and/or application development, design and integration. Must have relevant architecture experience and/or experience with legacy system integrations. Experience developing business solutions for large scale transaction systems using an architecture-driven development approach and integrating applications leveraging reusable components and services. Experience leading and mentoring highly skilled technical professionals and can lead design efforts if necessary. Background in creating multi-year application roadmaps and presenting to senior management and customers for approval and funding.
The key core technologies and the associated technical skills are listed below.
Abilities/Skills: Strong technical management, service-oriented architecture concepts, and system design skills. Prior experience with technologies or systems related to the department’s core activities. Proven ability to budget, organize and manage large technical teams made up of associates and contractors. Must be able to set priorities and multi-task between many simultaneous strategic projects and day-to-day production and maintenance related activities. Must be able to coach, develop, and motivate associates. Must have excellent written and verbal communication, interpersonal and analytical, and problem-solving skills. Must have the ability to consult with external customers and manage customer relationships and expectations. Experience with large-scale systems implementation projects, preferably in all phases of the systems development life cycle. Experience in collaborative team leadership.
Preferred: Broad knowledge of BCBS business, system, and operational processes. Experience with both mainframe and multi-tiered web applications. Strong background in service-oriented architectures, object-oriented design, integration patterns, web services and design and development tool sets. Experience integrating rules engine technology with legacy applications is a plus.
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly to Federal health care programs.
Department: Enrollment Product Delivery
Equal Employment Opportunity
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Hire Range Disclaimer
Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history.
Where To Apply
Please apply before: 10/6/2019
Federal Disc/Physical Demand
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
The associate is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The associate must frequently talk and hear. Weights up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted.
Sponsorship in US
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship