This job posting is no longer active
Resp & Qualifications
PURPOSE: Reporting to the Vice President, Chief Medical Officer, the Director, Health Care Policy is responsible for research, development, maintenance, and implementation of evidence-based, clinically sound, jurisdictionally compliant corporate medical and claims adjudication policies and technology assessments. In addition to providing support on clinical policy, this position is responsible for ensuring CareFirst clinical programs are meeting all legislative and regulatory requirements, providing support and expertise in medical benefit design, handling escalated issues of a clinical or policy nature that come from the Strategic Business Units and shaping Executive Management’s perspective on key technologies. In brief, the function of this role is to ensure that CareFirst is on the cutting edge of medical and payment policy to accelerate the emergence of a value-based health care system.
The incumbent drives and oversees the ongoing thorough research, documentation of research, and promulgation of new and existing policies to appropriate internal and external customers while directing the collaborative evaluation, revision and maintenance of on-line claims adjudication. He or she functions as the in-house expert for medical and payment policy, pricing, and coding.
In addition, the incumbent represents the Medical Affairs Division on matters of health policy in order to influence subscriber quality medical care and positive relations with providers and the community. The role requires collaboration with several key stakeholders across the organization as well as externally including; Multiple business areas within the CareFirst Medical Affairs division (Central Appeals, Provider Relations, Care Management, Compliance, and others. Strategic Business Units, Sales and Marketing, Communications, Legal, Government Mandates, and others Core Business Partners
Under the general direction of the Vice President & CMO the Director, Health Care Policy’s responsibilities and accountabilities include, but are not limited to, providing direction, leadership, and oversight for the following functions:
1. Corporate Medical Policy Administration: Responsible for Directing the research, development, maintenance and implementation of corporate medical and claims adjudication policies. Collaborates with Medical Directors, Federal, State and Local entities, internally and externally to notify and interpret health care policy for new or revised benefit structures.
2. Medical Technology Assessment: Accountable for directing up to date assessment of both FDA approved and emerging new medical treatment technologies and protocols.
3. Systems Oversight: Accountable for directing corporate systems processes and strategies that involve translation of medical policy into claims adjudication which impacts over 200 million dollars in care cost. Manage Claims software, reviews and customize as necessary, and simultaneously on appropriate platforms in collaboration with other departments. Includes knowledge of ICD-10 and understanding of Claims editing tools
4. Reimbursement Policy- Responsible for directing the research, development, maintenance and implementation of corporate reimbursement policies.
5. Clinical Consultation: Strategic collaboration with all internal departments (i.e. Central Appeals, Legal, Provider Relations, Corporate Communications, Government Affairs, and Care Management) and external customers (including physicians, non-physician providers, facilities, vendors) regarding coding practices, policy interpretation and new/existing technology.
6. Health Policy Representation: Responsible for representing Medical Affairs Division on matter of health policy in order to influence subscribers, providers and community.
7. Team Leadership and Administrative Oversight: Directs the day-to-day activities of the Health Care Policy and Technology Assessment Department, including directing, coaching, and guiding associates in order to implement departmental, divisional, and organizational mission/goals. Develops annual goals, and prepares, monitors, and analyzes variances of departmental budgets in order to control and appropriately allocate resources.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: Directs and supervises the work of 6-10 direct reports including:
Required Knowledge and Experience:
Required Skills and Abilities:
The following competencies are required to perform the aforementioned responsibilities successfully:
Preferred: Master’s degree in nursing, or other health-related discipline or MBA. Claims operations/medical review experience in a health insurance setting. Two or more years’ experience with Medicare Advantage or Medicaid.
Department: Heatlh Care Policy
Equal Employment Opportunity
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Hire Range Disclaimer
Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history.
Where To Apply
Please visit our website to apply: www.carefirst.com/careers
Please apply before: 8/29/19
Federal Disc/Physical Demand
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
The associate is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The associate must frequently talk and hear. Weights up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted.
Sponsorship in US
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship