Resp & Qualifications
PURPOSE: Under the direction of the Senior Director of Strategic Sourcing and Procurement, this position is responsible for directing and overseeing all Service Benefit Plan (SBP) sourcing activity and vendor relationships. This position provides leadership, strategic and tactical direction to ensure a successful, FAR compliant sourcing process including coaching and managing five associates to (i) develop sourcing strategies, (ii) efficiently lead and conduct RFx preparation, (iii) negotiate contracts for goods and services, and (iv) accurately capture stakeholder requirements in the final contract. This position interacts directly with executive management across the CareFirst and SBP organization to manage high dollar proposals through closure.
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES: Under the direction of the Senior Director, Strategic Sourcing and Procurement, the principle duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
Duties and Responsibilities
Leads Stakeholder Engagement and Project Success:
- Conduct weekly meetings with SBP leadership (SVP, VPs, and Directors) to document and confirm priorities, strategic initiatives, and pipeline.
- Work directly with senior business stakeholders to ensure successful framing and development of high complexity project objectives, requirements, and sourcing strategy prior to vendor engagement.
- Coach business stakeholders on Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR)-compliant sourcing process and negotiation.
- Develop, socialize, and implement category strategies to ensure faster cycle times and spend reduction.
- Ensure all projects adhere to agreed service level timelines.
- Weekly review of priorities and pipeline against active projects list (in close partnership with the Procurement Operations team) and report project / schedule issues to SBP and Procurement leadership.
- Weekly review of SBP project list against CareFirst project list to ensure category and strategy alignment.
- Own relationship and communications with BCBSA Director’s office related to procurement projects status.
- Attend SBP project planning and budgeting meetings.
- Maintain renewal pipeline reports (in close partnership with the Procurement Operations team) for all SBP procurement projects.
- Interacts routinely with the Legal department and business stakeholders to resolve critical project issues.
- Ensures all direct reports are trained on and adhere to department process, corporate procurement policy, and FAR for all procurement projects.
- Directly review and ensure direct reports correctly and completely prepare and submit documentation for consent from the Federal Government for all applicable procurements.
- Ensure direct reports accurately capture business requirements for each procurement request sufficient to develop and manage resulting RFx and sole source procurements.
- Ensure direct reports develop appropriate project timelines and meet all target project completion dates.
- Directly review (in detail) direct reports’ projects at key milestones for projects over $100k in value, e.g. compliance with FAR, project timeline/efficiency, RFP questions, sole source rationale, negotiation strategy, supplier clarifications, down-selection, government consent forms, project issue resolution, compliance with corporate policy, and department processes.
- Motivate, coach and develop associates for growth in skill development.
- Lead staff performance plans and reviews on an annual basis.
Negotiation and Issue Escalation:
- Leads the negotiation, redlining, legal, and business stakeholder communications process with the supplier for highly complex, challenged, or stalled projects.
Direct: This position directly supervises five (5) sourcing professionals.
Required Knowledge/Experience: This position requires (i) a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Information Technology, Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience, and (ii) over 10 years of experience in a procurement role, including 5+ years of progressively responsible management experience.
- Extensive experience in technology procurement (able to manage the end to end sourcing process from requirements gathering through RFx and complex software licensing).
- General experience with Print, Professional Services, Facilities or other categories of procurement are a plus.
- Must have extensive experience negotiating with Microsoft, IBM, Oracle, and Telecom providers.
- Experienced in vendor relationship management and stakeholder governance.
- Experienced in detailed financial modeling and analysis and determining price reasonableness.
- Excellent project & time management skills including but not limited to risk assessment, work plan development and management.
- Highly developed analytical, organizational, and coordination skills.
- Effective presentation, negotiation, and influencing skills to interface with all levels of management and suppliers.
- Able to apply complex problem-solving abilities to achieve problem ad process solutions.
- Ability to spot, communicate, and mitigate issues.
- Flexibility and the ability to work under time constraints, adapt to shifting priorities, to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Must be able to effectively work in a fast-paced environment with frequently changing priorities, deadlines, and workloads that can be variable for long periods of time.
- Must be able to meet established deadlines and handle multiple customer service demands from internal and external stakeholders, within set expectations for service excellence.
- Knowledge of current technology trends and industry best practices (e.g. cloud technology, data privacy, and IT security).
- Knowledge of the FAR.
- Knowledge of Ariba or similar procurement automation tools.
Department: Service Benefit Plan Sourcing and Procurement
Equal Employment Opportunity
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Hire Range Disclaimer
Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history.
Where To Apply
Please visit our website to apply: www.carefirst.com/careers
Federal Disc/Physical Demand
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
The associate is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The associate must frequently talk and hear. Weights up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted.
Sponsorship in US
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship