Resp & Qualifications
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES: Under the direction of the Senior Director, Financial Accounting and Financial Systems, the incumbent’s accountabilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
Technical GAAP guidance
• Monitor business activities to ensure timely identification of accounting and financial reporting matters.
• Analyze new and proposed accounting standards, determine the impact on the company, and implement as required.
• Define and implement proper accounting for complex transactions and provide feedback on the accounting implication of proposed transactions.
• Draft and review accounting memos for new accounting guidance and for significant accounting transactions. Provide guidance to operational finance teams to ensure transactions are properly accounted for and disclosed in the financial statements.
• Act as liaison with internal and external auditors to present the Company’s position on technical accounting matters and drive closure of open issues. Ensure proper accounting, reporting, and disclosure.
• Develop, coordinate, and maintain accounting policies and procedures in accordance with GAAP and other regulatory requirements.
• Complete the GAAP disclosure checklist in support of the external financial statement audit.
• Work closely with stakeholders within Finance and across the company including Legal, FP&A, Tax, Treasury, and Sales regarding new lines of business, products, and contracts.
• Manage projects across multiple departments to ensure timely resolution of issues, adherence to deadlines, and quality of work.
• Manage the review and documentation of significant transactions, contracts, and new business initiatives and recommend appropriate accounting treatment.
Process improvement and the control environment
• Coordinate development and implementation of internal accounting controls, analytical tools and reports, and systems and process enhancements supporting financial management of the company.
• Develop and propose process improvements by identifying potential risk areas and recommended improvements.
• Monitor and review balance sheet account analyses to identify potential issues and to ensure financial data integrity.
Training and departmental support
• Lead the preparation and presentation of training to the accounting and financial reporting teams regarding technical accounting guidance and the application of new accounting standards.\
• Act as a resource and subject matter expert for all questions and issues related to technical GAAP accounting.
• Assist in the mentoring and development of accounting and reporting staff. Participate in team planning including setting team goals and priorities.
Required education, experience, skills and abilities:
Director Accounting Operations
Equal Employment Opportunity
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Hire Range Disclaimer
Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history.
Where To Apply
Please visit our website to apply: www.carefirst.com/careers
Please apply before: 09/19/2019
Federal Disc/Physical Demand
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
The associate is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The employee must frequently talk and hear. Weights of up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted.
Sponsorship in US
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship