Resp & Qualifications
PURPOSE: The incumbent is responsible for analyzing data and converting it to actionable information through creation and implementation of innovative, flexible and informative reports to drive growth, margin improvement, and strategic business management. The incumbent works with key staff and designated management team members to build and maintain a structure around the reporting process for sustainability. The incumbent manages the process, including coordination with others and distribution of reports. The incumbent is technically proficient and handles the highest level/most complex issues related to reporting and is perceived as the subject matter expert for non-production Underwriting reports. The incumbent is accountable for consistency, reliability and validity of data. This person is intimately familiar with CareFirst’s business model, including the function of the Underwriting department.
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES: Under the general supervision of the Manager of Underwriting Systems, the incumbent’s accountabilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Identifies salient issues and strategic challenges or opportunities by aggregating and analyzing data sets for patterns, relationships, trends and important findings or business outcomes. Communicates these findings to key staff and leadership by means of informative, actionable reports. These reports will support key decision making and strategic processes.
- Collaborates with Underwriting, UPPS & T, Finance, Sales and other leaders to identify business needs, generate specifications and establish methodology needed for producing standard reports and ad hoc analyses. Develops and follows repeatable policies and procedures. Documents reporting standards and definitions in order to maintain proper change management processes. Participates in meetings to review and discuss analytic methodologies, results, and improvement opportunities.
- Develops queries to extract data and perform analysis. Is able to respond to all data inquiries and questions as they pertain to business outcomes by navigating through the AURA data mart and other systems. Acts as subject matter expert resource to Underwriting and other team members.
- Develop, Test and Implement efficient and maintainable program logic for existing and new reports. Coordinates and manages all -production underwriting reports and associated data, including distribution to UW and other designated management. Prepares data reports for presentations and meetings, including incorporating data into Power Point slides. May be responsible for presenting this data in meetings.
- Executes data quality and validation processes. Advises management on the consistency, reliability and validity of data.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience
- Minimum 2-3 years work experience performing business analysis providing statistical data trends and creating custom reports to address identified issues with sophisticated solutions.
- Advanced Microsoft software knowledge including advanced Excel, PowerPoint and Access skills required.
- 2 + years work experience with MS SQL Server required-must understand relational databases, be able to write queries, pull large data sets from MS SQL Server and be able to perform data manipulations and analysis in Office VBA.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required.
- Understand the business functions and needs for information. Understand the impact of results on all affected stakeholders. Independent learner who can acquire the necessary business knowledge to complete the work.
- Excellent analytical and problem identification/solving skills. Ability to take initiative, embrace challenges and develop creative solutions. Ability to troubleshoot and solve issues with reports and questions related to reporting.
- Able to develop effective relationships with individuals at all levels. Ability to work both as part of a team and one-on-one with underwriting, sales, and financial leaders to address complex strategic issues in CareFirst business.
- Ability to work well with others in a demanding and changing environment, including those whose expertise is not analytical.
- Strong sense of priorities and objectives; ability to anticipate needs, recommend options, and implement. Ability to juggle multiple assignments, manage time efficiently, and with a minimum of supervision.
- Ability to take ownership of assignments and deliver within a cost effective and timely manner.
- Must be able to effectively work in a fast-paced environment with frequently changing priorities, deadlines, and workloads that can be variable for long periods of time. Must be able to meet established deadlines and handle multiple customer service demands from internal and external customers, within set expectations for service excellence. Must be able to effectively communicate and provide positive customer service to every internal and external customer, including customers who may be demanding or otherwise challenging.
- 2+ years work experience with MS SQL Server and Office VBA preferred in addition to SSRS.
- Strong working knowledge of the insurance industry and advanced data mining tools strongly preferred
- Prior underwriting or Finance experience preferred.
Department: Underwriting Systems
Equal Employment Opportunity
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Hire Range Disclaimer
Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history.
Where To Apply
Please visit our website to apply: www.carefirst.com/careers
Please apply before: 10/23/2019
Federal Disc/Physical Demand
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position successfully. Requirements may be modified to accommodate individuals with disabilities.
The employee is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The employee must frequently talk and hear. Weights of up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted. Travel to other CF sites for training may be required.
Sponsorship in US
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship