Resp & Qualifications
The CareFirst Application Development (AppDev) function is composed of three distinct groups focused on different functional areas with CareFirst:
- Provider Applications - Provider Services, Provider Self Service, Patient Centered Medical Home (PCMH), Electronic Transaction Routing
- Market Facing Applications - Member, Employer and Broker support functions
- Corporate Systems & Enterprise Programs (CSEP) - Corporate applications, including Financials and HR, Legacy Claim Systems, Document Automation Systems, and large scale, cross functional Program Management
The AppDev function is comprised of design, integration and development activities that support the diverse and varied processes that make up the CareFirst business. With an emphasis on design and integration activities, CareFirst Associates in the Application Integration Specialist (AIS) job family are expected to have a variety of progressive skills and experience within the field of software development and integration. Specifically, the Consulting Application Integration Specialist’s functions include, but are not limited to:
- Providing technical expertise for Division/Department portfolio of complex applications deployed in a secure, highly available, fault tolerant, multi-tier environment, using a variety of toolsets (JAVA, PEGA, TIBCO, HTML5, ETL, etc) and platforms (Web, Mobile) and.
- Envisioning, articulating and designing complex applications, system processes and business functions ultimately leading the design and implementation across a wide, complex body of technologies, architectures and workflow systems.
- Setting design and coding standards, defining and ensuring development discipline and adherence to SDLC policies by development teams
- Leading and collaborating with large, diverse teams of architects, analysts, designers, developers and testers.
- Advising management regarding vision and strategy, technology innovations and use of enterprise services and serving as the application architecture authority within their prospective domain
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES: Under the direction of an IT manager or above, responsibilities include but are not limited to:
1. Technology Consultation and Leadership
- Leads technology and product assessments for department applications; provides detailed evaluations and advises on final selections; identifies components and services that are core to the department and proactively works with technical peers to maintain functionality, optimize reuse and reduce total cost of ownership
- Serves as consultative resource on technology innovations and enterprise services that impact application vision and strategy, balancing a detailed business understanding of department applications against drivers that will influence their technological direction over time
- Advises on skillsets, capabilities and training requirements for current and future staff, based upon advancing technology and shifting business requirements; mentors and leads design/development teams in the appropriate use of current and new technologies; works with managers to ensures design and technology decisions are complemented by the core skills of the team that will support them.
- Reviews technical SDLC processes for knowledge transfer particularly when collaborating with SSP and offshore teams and makes recommendations for improvements
2. Software Development, Design & Support
- Creates and reviews cross-functional system designs, accounting for infrastructure, security, network and operations, often spanning multiple heterogeneous platforms
- Leads delivery of complex software applications, including web user interfaces, mobile applications, data integration, service and middleware integration, portal components and similar technologies. Engages technical leads in discussions and weighing options.
- Estimates the technical costs of projects for clients and project managers, confers with clients to identify requirements (e.g., data, information needs, processing, specific output, functional and development of test data), and determines their desired outcomes in order to formulate the design of the system and/or offer alternative solutions in a timely manner.
- Conducts performance monitoring, capacity planning, system tuning, availability planning; Analyzes, designs, and documents information to create the applicable statements of work and the associated deliverables. Provides technical and business documents, including formal/informal oral presentations and standards development/documentation
- Solves challenging technical problems by applying technical resources and driving complex decision making; manages fixes and enhancements through delivery partners within the ITIL framework of IT Service Management.
3. Software Integration
- Drives the selection, evaluation and recommendation of software tools, techniques and products that integrate systems/processes/applications and simplify the delivery of CareFirst business applications
- Determines operational feasibility of proposed designs/solutions by evaluating various SDLC artifacts, considering business policies/procedures and overall technical and functional environment.
- Collaborates on future implementations with TOS teams across multiple disciplines include Enterprise Architecture, Security and Access Controls, Capacity Planning, Hardware and Virtualization selection.
- Leads system performance diagnosis and scalability assessment activities.
- Serves as escalation point for critical problem resolution, recommending alternative techniques and providing training and guidance related to department service portfolio.
- Manages cross-functional interoperability design and problems related to CareFirst business applications and related middleware components
- Develops and maintains an application integration architecture blueprint for the organization
- Oversees the integration of application modules including:
- In-house developed software
- Commercial off-the-shelf software
- External 3rd parties as necessary.
4. Research and Development
- Proactively analyzes and reviews emerging technologies, changes in the Insurance/Healthcare industry and corresponding business functions, looking for opportunities to improve application capabilities in furtherance of CareFirst goals and business objectives
- Updates job knowledge by studying state-of-the-art development tools, programming techniques, and computing equipment; participate in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Mentors new or junior staff members on business knowledge, system intricacies, and complex technical issues
This position is also subject to being "on call" for emergency situations requiring immediate resolution. This position is subject to a level 6C security requirement.
Required: This position requires a BA/BS in computer science or related IT field, or equivalent experience. A minimum of 10 or more years of software architecture, design and development experience working in complex, multi-faceted environments.
- Demonstrates knowledge of development techniques, skills and abilities.
- Able to understand complex problems while at the same time explaining in simple terms to business users.
- The candidate must be able to able to work independently, assist team members in their development strategies, prepare reports to track progress as required, conduct training, and prepare training materials as required.
- Excellent organizational and documentation skills will be essential in ensuring developed source code can be interpreted by other members of the development team.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills and the ability to present technical terminology to internal clients of all levels and external vendors.
- Prior experience required in technical project management of large scale projects including the use of iterative/agile methods.
- Prior experience required in programmer analysis or web development, enterprise integration and software development life cycle.
- Knowledge of integration best practices
- Proven strong leadership skills.
- Proven ability to lead the design of large-scale enterprise systems with N-tier architecture.
- Experience in supporting a broad range of technologies and application platforms, preferably with but not limited to: PEGA, TIBCO, JavaEE, WebSphere Application Server, and WebSphere Portal Server.
- Working knowledge of standard healthcare claims platforms such as, TriZetto, Facets and NASCO claims platforms
- Working experience of service oriented architecture systems.
- Strong leading experience with the integration of the systems on different platforms.
- Excellent knowledge of data modeling, object modeling, and system performance optimization. A combination and good balance of architecture design and hands-on development skills
This position will require a deep understanding/mastery of one or more of the following: Services Oriented Architecture (SOA), Business Process Management (BPM) and/or Web Integration Platforms (WebSphere Portals) or similar enterprise application platforms (Web/Pega/ESB application development); and analytical (i.e. requirements gathering) skills, as well as the ability to learn new technologies quickly based on prior experiences with similar tools and an understanding of infrastructure:
Web development requirements include:
- Analysis, design, and implementation of business software utilizing web technologies and web-focused languages (JAVA, Python, PERL, C++, C#).
- Document design and write documented code
- Unit testing
- Assist architect development of frameworks and components
- Participate in peer code and design reviews
- Web page maintenance (content transfer and update)
- Site design – design and development of production and test infrastructure that is compatible with LAN/desktop architecture and aligned with organizational goals and objectives
- Design and development of systems, e.g. closed user group sites
- Includes the development of SQL stored procedures, HTML-based applications, JSP and Java, and the use of other associated technologies to facilitate Web-based transactions. Facilitates the development of the Web infrastructure that supports client business requirements.
TIBCO requirements include:
- Demonstrated J2EE development experience
- Demonstrated full lifecycle development success with TIBCO EAI projects, utilizing TIBCO BusinessWorks, TIBCO Adaptors; UNIX, Oracle RDBMS, JMS, XML (XSD Schema), Web Services, Java, Web Servers
Pega requirements include:
- Experience with Rules Engine
- Hands on experience with PEGA Rule Process Commander (PRPC)
- Hands on experience with Java, J2EE, EJB, JSP, JDBC, Java Servlets and AJAX
- Wide breadth of knowledge across many Java Open-Source technologies including Ant, Struts, Spring, Hibernate, XML parser technology, JUnit and HTTPUnit
- Hands on experience to deploy J2EE applications on different platform (like JBoss, WebLogic or WebSphere)
- In-depth knowledge of databases (Oracle, MS SQL Server & DB2)
Preferred: BS or MS in Computer Science, Previous HealthCare industry experience, ITIL certification
Department: Data Hub & Integration- MD
Equal Employment Opportunity
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Hire Range Disclaimer
Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history.
Where To Apply
Please visit our website to apply: www.carefirst.com/careers
Please apply before: 10/15/2019
Federal Disc/Physical Demand
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position successfully. Requirements may be modified to accommodate individuals with disabilities. Travel between Carefirst sites is required.
The associate is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The employee must frequently talk and hear. Weights of up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted.
Sponsorship in US
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship