Resp & Qualifications
PURPOSE: The Database Developer/Analyst II is a highly motivated professional responsible for developing innovative and complex data solutions and applications to support actuarial analytics specializing in medical economics. With a critical eye towards data integrity and a growing understanding of claim and provider data, the Database Developer/Analyst II will work closely with actuaries to produce analytics tools, applications and dashboards and assist with ad hoc reporting and analysis. Additionally, the Database Developer/Analyst II will partner with actuaries to support the financial impact analysis related to the building of and changes to provider networks and contracting.
The Database Developer/Analyst II is expected to have a basic understanding of the business and is strongly encouraged to quickly improve on this business knowledge to more independently perform analysis on the data to validate accuracy and proper reporting based on established business rules. The Database Developer/Analyst II is expected to make decisions, with management guidance, on the appropriate data sources to use, the optimal approach to solve business problems, and to ensure that results tie to appropriate controls.
This is a fast-paced, collaborative and iterative environment requiring quick learning, agility and flexibility.
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES: Under the general direction of the Actuarial Systems Manager, the incumbent’s accountabilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
Provide development support for the implementation of complex end-to-end data solutions and applications by coding to high-level specifications:
• Support the implementation of relational and dimensional data models
• Write efficient and maintainable ETL focused on re-usability and clear, logical execution
• Program advanced, sophisticated SQL incorporating complex business logic and define appropriate control tie outs
• Independently work with actuaries to gather/understand business requirements
• Engage in the analysis and design of data and application solutions
Perform supervised financial, actuarial and healthcare reporting and analytics according to specifications:
• With management guidance, support the development of complex, sophisticated analytics based on financial, actuarial and healthcare concepts
• Review and analyze reporting results for accuracy based on tie outs to appropriate controls and for financial and actuarial soundness to ensure accurate calculations; identify reporting anomalies and effectively communicate findings to business users
• Expand knowledge and understanding of internal business rules and financial and actuarial concepts through interaction with actuaries, individual research and on-the-job training
• Engage in the documentation and specification gathering for new production reports
Support monthly production processes and improvements to the department’s efficiency:
• Support the oversight and monitoring of production processes; ensure audit compliance of the control reporting process; assist in the resolution of production issues when they arise.
• Ensure that data loads tie to appropriate controls and document according to audit guidelines and practices
• Support the improvement of departmental processes through clear and concise documentation
• Continually develop technical skills in current technologies, programming languages, and departmental practices and procedures
• Expand knowledge and understanding of business/healthcare, financial and actuarial concepts through individual research, departmental contacts and on-the-job training
This position is also subject to being "on call" for emergency situations requiring immediate resolution. Travel between all CareFirst locations may be required.
Required: A college degree/certificate in Information Systems, Data Science or Computer Science or total equivalent work experience plus two to four years of relevant experience which includes at least 1 year in each of the following technologies:
IT structured programming/coding (eg. VB/VBA, C#, etc.)
Relational/Dimensional database development
Advanced Microsoft Excel
Abilities/Skills: Additionally, this position requires demonstrated proficiency and practical experience with Excel, Access, VBA, Visual Studio, SQL Server, and SSIS (SQL Server Integrated Services). This position requires very strong conceptual and quantitative skills and the ability to work independently and in small teams. Ability to work beyond regularly scheduled hours when necessary. Good oral and written communication is necessary as are strong interpersonal skills for interacting with colleagues and customers. Strong analytical and organizational skills are required.
Must be able to effectively work in a fast-paced environment with frequently changing priorities, deadlines, and workloads that can be variable for long periods of time. Must be able to meet established deadlines and handle multiple customer service demands from internal and external customers within set expectations for service excellence. Must be able to effectively communicate and provide positive customer service to every internal and external customer, including customers who may be demanding or otherwise challenging.
Preferred: Knowledge of other software packages such as version control tools, project management tools, and SQL development tools are preferred.
MS SQL Server 2008 or later (including DDL and DML)
SSIS (SQL Server Integration Services)
SSRS (SQL Server Reporting Services)
SSAS (SQL Server Analysis Services)
Oracle 10g, Oracle, SQL
Department: Actuarial Analyst
Equal Employment Opportunity
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Hire Range Disclaimer
Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history.
Where To Apply
Please visit our website to apply: www.carefirst.com/careers
Please apply before: 1/26/2020
Federal Disc/Physical Demand
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position successfully. Requirements may be modified to accommodate individuals with disabilities.
The associate is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The employee must frequently talk and hear. Travel among CareFirst sites may be required.
Sponsorship in US
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship