Resp & Qualifications
The Senior Regulatory and Policy Analyst monitors, evaluates, and provides recommendations on strategy and communications regarding federal and state public policy issues in support of the company’s business objectives and requirements. The Analyst has key responsibility for ensuring the division is positioned to communicate the specific impacts of federal and state policies to the rest of the organization, as well as identifying areas needed for influence external to the organization.
Under the general supervision, the incumbent’s accountabilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Serve as an internal resource to Public Policy, Government Affairs, Medical Affairs, and all other areas of CareFirst on policy and regulation as assigned. Provides internal education and policy briefings on government action and policy trends to assist in business decisions across the company.
2. Conduct legislative, regulatory, and policy research. Develop external communications for accounts and other stakeholders. Provide guidance on external messaging to government and stakeholders on CareFirst initiatives.
In support of the VPs and Directors of Public Policy, Government Affairs in Maryland, NCA, and Federal, as well as Legal, develops research for use in drafting position papers, written and verbal testimony for presentation before legislative and regulatory bodies, correspondence, and other responses for public policy and governmental affairs purposes. In support of the VPs and Directors of Public Policy and Government Affairs in Maryland, NCA, and Federal, conducts specific research leading to the development of corporate positions.
3. Monitor and participate in legislative, regulatory, and stakeholder bodies and workgroups. Participate in external work groups created by America’s Health Insurance Plans (AHIP), the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association (BCBSA), and others as needed.
BA or BS degree, preferably in Political Science, Health Policy, or related field or total equivalent experience. In addition, must have 3 years experience working in a healthcare policy environment focused on policy and communication.
• Extensive knowledge of policy analysis,.
• Understanding of healthcare payor industry
• Must have basic understanding of insurance products and regulatory environment.
• Proven analytical and problem solving skills
• Excellent written and oral communications skills
• Ability to work with all levels within the organization and to build highly cooperative and productive relationships
• Ability to reach outside the organization to gather information
• Effective communication skills with the ability to tailor information for specific audiences
• Ability to lead cross functional teams of varying sizes
• Ability to present complex ideas to create a clear picture of impacts to the organization
• Ability to act on behalf of management in a manner that is consistent with divisional vision
• Ability to act in consultative manner to project teams charged with operationalizing mandates
• Excellent PC skills, including Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and Word.
• MBA, MHA, MPH, or MS with an emphasis in health care.
• Knowledge of CareFirst organization and medical strategy. Understanding of health care marketplace dynamics and regulatory landscape. Either an existing network or the ability to quickly develop and maintain a network of personal contacts both within CareFirst and in the external health care community for sources of information.
• Knowledge regarding government health insurance programs.
• The incumbent must have an excellent working knowledge of the core business functions at CareFirst.
Department: MA Implement - Marketing
Equal Employment Opportunity
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Hire Range Disclaimer
Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history.
Where To Apply
Please visit our website to apply: www.carefirst.com/careers
Please apply before: 1/26/2020
Federal Disc/Physical Demand
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
Must be able to effectively work in a fast paced environment with frequently changing priorities, deadlines, and workloads that can be variable for long periods of time. Must be able to meet established deadlines and handle multiple customer service demands from internal and external customers, within set expectations for service excellence. Must be able to effectively communicate and provide positive customer service to every internal and external customer, including customers who may be demanding or otherwise challenging.
The associate is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The associate must frequently talk and hear. Weights of up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted.
Sponsorship in US
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship