Resp & Qualifications
CareFirst is a leader in the healthcare industry serving over 3 million Members. It’s Healthworx organization applies an analytic approach to identify new opportunities in medicine and technology to make our Members’ health care experience more convenient and their care less expensive and more effective. HealthWorx has three main areas of activity:
1. Using technology, research, and data analytics to solve health problems
2. Investing in, piloting, and mentoring businesses with promising products and services
3. Forming impactful partnerships and collaborations
Strategic Innovation is a new area of Healthworx focused on supporting and accelerating innovation across the enterprise. Strategic Innovation aims to support innovation across CareFirst with resources and insight to accelerate efforts to address pressing challenges in healthcare with creative solutions. This position will report to the Vice President of Healthworx, and will play a key role and lead a team across three critical Strategic Innovation functions:
• The development and shaping of an innovation portfolio consisting of ideas and projects from across CareFirst’s strategic objectives;
• The research and identification of healthcare trends as well as the prioritiziation of specific focus areas for innovation activity;
• Supporting prioritized innovation efforts with resources and expertise and driving to find the optimal and scalable solutions to healthcare problems.
This position will require an ability to manage multiple work efforts simultaneously with participation from leadership across CareFirst as well as external partners. This position will require strong strategic thinking, an ability to convert strategy into discrete tactics & actions, and an ability to manage cross-functional teams without direct reporting authority over most team members. Candidates should have a strong understanding of healthcare along with consulting experience in strategy and planning.
PRINCIPLE ACCOUNTABILITIES: Under the direction of the Vice President of Healthworx, this position will have broad responsibility across the innovation efforts of the functions and will be expected to work independently, set priorities and multitask as needed. General responsibilities for this position include the following, but may vary over time as Strategic Innovation matures within Healthworx and CareFirst:
1. Manages and curates CareFirst’s portfolio of innovation ideas to identify specific opportunities and general themes for further exploration and development
• Works closely with executive leadership and strategy department to understand and support overall business goals
• Manages a technology platform that enables the collection, display and management of innovation ideas across the enterprise
• Coordinates research & insight from internal and external resources to inform horizon scanning and focus area prioritization
• Manages internal and external advisory groups to inform horizon scanning and focus area prioritization
2. Facilitates the innovation process from idea creation to dissemination, unleashing the company’s potential to build new solutions and disrupt traditional healthcare models
• Develop and manage the day-to-day process to engage stakeholders and experts in project definition, design, and planning
• Coordinates the development of opportunity statements project plans, etc. to support projects endorsed and sponsored by Healthworx
• Reports out to the governance committee of Healthworx along with CareFirst’s executive leadership
• Develop, track and report on qualitative and quantitative metrics for projects being supported by the Strategic Innovation team
• Supports the communication strategy for innovation skills in conjunction with the CareFirst organizational development team
• Serves as a key contact for internal and external leadership to engage with Healthworx and build strong working relationships as needed to support the goals of Healthworx
• Works closely with the Healthworx commercialization team to develop solutions for emerging markets
3. Assist in the coordination of external innovation partners and their integration into CareFirst strategy.
• Act as a “front door” for innovators wanting to work with CareFirst.
• Establish a robust market-research techniques to enable timely evaluation of new opportunities
• Continuously research the healthcare innovation landscape and keep company leadership updated on new developments or opportunities
• Create and manage a process for pilots at CareFirst.
• Be a resource for external start-ups who interact with Healthworx and CareFirst
Required Education and Experience:
• Bachelors Degree
• 10+ years in management consulting /health care strategy/innovation.
• Experience with the development of business cases and industry scans, investment in and development of partnerships across different size ventures, leading to commercial success.
Required Skills and Abilities:
• Passionate, energetic leader
• Strategic thinker with strong ability to influence others and realize tangible results
• Successful track record of creating new products/services/businesses through various strategies (partnerships, co-development, etc.)
• Experience with human-centered design principles and facilitation of innovation processes
• Strong leadership and general management skills
• Portfolio management and analytical skills
• Ability to communicate effectively, sell ideas
• Masters Degree
• Well networked in the area of health care innovation, venture capital and incubation spaces
• Experience as a business leader in a team environment
• Demonstrated success in the development of business strategy
Department: Healthworx Infrastructure
Equal Employment Opportunity
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Hire Range Disclaimer
Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history.
Where To Apply
Please visit our website to apply: www.carefirst.com/careers
Please apply before: 2/12/2020
Federal Disc/Physical Demand
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
The associate is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The associate must frequently talk and hear. Weights up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted.
Sponsorship in US
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship