Resp & Qualifications
This position is responsible for renewing/growing a large book business which includes both national and local accounts with indemnity and managed care medical products, ancillary/specialty products, and life products. Primary responsibility includes strategic account management for large (100+) and/or complex national or local accounts, sales of additional products/services to existing accounts, implementing sales strategies to grow enrollment through selling new business to existing accounts and managing major account relationships. Indirectly manages sales support staff coordinating the required duties for effective service of clients.
1. Strategic Account Management: Through Strategic Focus and Analysis, Account Manager creates account specific plans that address client needs and provide a short term and long range plan for CareFirst to grow and retain the account. Strategic Account management includes the use of Data Informatics to analyze client specific information and interpret information and assist in the development of meaningful account strategy to address complex client needs.
• Meets quarterly with accounts to review data informatics and revise strategic account plans for the account by discussing changing needs, new products and services.
• Works to identify and understand clients’ healthcare information needs.
• Assists accounts in helping them understand their healthcare challenges and aids in the development of client specific solutions.
• Provides interpretation and guidance in the clinical interpretation of reports and projects for employer groups to understand their healthcare utilization and cost trends, and provides programmatic recommendations regarding optimal products that address identified medical needs.
2. Account Renewal/Growth: Ensures that each assigned account renews annually and aggressively pursues growth within groups by developing and implementing account specific benefit and financial strategies. Through strategic focus and consultative selling skills develops productive and collaborative internal partnerships to create a comprehensive growth and service strategy for assigned book of business. Articulates how CareFirst products and services can contribute to constituents’ objectives and add value, and aggressively seeks and obtains new business within assigned book which includes the addition of ancillary health and life products. For national accounts this may include negotiating financial, benefit and contractual agreements with other Blue Cross Blue Shield plans.
3. Relationship Management: Establishes and maintains relationships at multiple levels with clients, consultants, brokers and other Blue Cross Blue Shield plans through the use of consultative skills and analysis of account needs/service requirements; also manages, develops and cultivates relationships with constituents (producers, plan sponsors, brokers, consultants, and customers) as appropriate.
4. Project Management: Manages and executes the sales process (i.e., quoting, proposal, producer license and appointment, status documentation) in collaboration with the internal constituents as necessary. This may include informal management of a team of sales support staff coordinating the account specific support required for effective service of clients for the Account Manager’s book of business; ensure team members create open enrollment strategy with producer and plan sponsor to maximize enrollment; this includes the day to day management of activities, training, development, coaching and feedback required
5.Performs other duties as assigned, which include but are not limited to, developing budgets; projecting enrollment figures; serving on internal and external committees to represent the sales division and/or the corporation; and serving on community organizations such as the Chamber of Commerce, health and life underwriters associations, the United Way, etc.
A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience and a minimum of from five to eight years of sales experience with an emphasis on strategic and consultative selling required. The applicant must have extensive knowledge of underwriting principles; group health/life insurance financial/funding mechanisms; healthcare delivery systems, including pricing methodologies and cost reimbursement mechanisms for both Health Maintenance Organizations (HMO) and indemnity systems; and health insurance products and networks. The incumbent must have a thorough knowledge of national account health/life insurance requirements, as well as those for local business; the status of the local and national marketplaces; and the competition. The ability to effectively manage professional sales personnel through leadership and the promotion of teamwork is required.
A current health and life license for the jurisdictions of Maryland, DC, and Virginia is required.
Required Skills and Abilities
• Strategic ability and planning, analytical ability, problem solving and decision making skills with the ability to work and make decisions independently and in a team environment.
• Exceptional presentation skills; ability to make persuasive presentations, exciting the customer with an enthusiastic presentation style, and the ability to demonstrate values by actively promoting products and services that are of value.
• Technical competence; knowledge of technology as it relates to the sales process including the employer group reporting tool (EGR) and salesforce.com. The ability to understand complex information clients require, and the technical prowess to seek, generate, or cultivate the information required by our customers to aid in the sales process.
• Commitment to building customer relationships, with the ability to demonstrate appropriate knowledge of company clients and customers and their needs and requirements; is continuously alert and responsive to changing customer needs, and formulates business strategies designed to enhance customer satisfaction, build relationships and product/service loyalty.
• Exceptional interpersonal skills; ability to work with people at all levels of the organization horizontally and vertically and motivate people to take action.
• Knowledge of health care products, product implementation processes, information systems and planning.
• Knowledge of various PC and hand held applications with the ability to convert such applications into effective business tools.
• Knowledge of operational, broker accounting and sales processes as well as those utilized by contracted Broker Producers.
Experience in a similar sales position with a competitor or another Blue Cross Blue Shield plan is preferred. A degree in business and/or finance is also preferred.
Equal Employment Opportunity
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Hire Range Disclaimer
Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history.
Where To Apply
Please visit our website to apply: www.carefirst.com/careers
Please apply before: 3/11/2020
Federal Disc/Physical Demand
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
The associate is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The associate must frequently talk and hear. Weights up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted.
Sponsorship in US
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship