Resp & Qualifications
Under the direction of the Executive Vice President, the Vice President of Procurement and Vendor Management will build world-class procurement capabilities, partnering with internal stakeholders and business unit owners to ensure the organization attains maximum value for the goods and services required to enable strategic and operational goal achievement. The Vice President will create and implement Procurement and Vendor Management strategies aligned with Corporate goals, ensuring stakeholder adoption of processes and systems in support of $500-750M in annual addressable spend. By developing strong working relationships with stakeholders the incumbent will implement sourcing processes, (Strategic Sourcing, Category Management, Procurement Analytics, Supplier Relationship Management, Capital Projects Sourcing, Contracts Management, Compliance and Transaction Procurement etc.), interacting directly with executive management across the organization to manage high dollar proposals while ensuring business needs are met. Accountable for overall governance and successful delivery of all major sourcing strategies, vendor management and procurement operations, and oversight for key activities that impact effective management of supplier relationships.
Procurement and Vendor Management Strategy and Execution:
• Build world-class procurement and vendor management capabilities, partnering with business unit owners to create strategy that ensures maximum value attainment for the goods and services required to enable strategic and operational goal achievement.
• Establish and communicate a clear vision that transforms processes and systems across the organization driving implementation and stakeholder adoption of standardized process.
• Stay abreast of current trends and leading marketplace practices which may have operational or strategic impact to the company and adjust strategies and processes accordingly.
• Reduce cost through development and implementation of holistic vendor strategy while maintaining operational performance and business delivery timeframes.
• Create, manage and implement robust procurement and vendor management plan incorporating stakeholder buy in and support, milestones, dates, and ROI aligned with corporate strategy.
• Drive active collaboration across organizational stakeholder groups including building and maintaining relationships with department leaders, external partners, and key vendors.
• Engage and lead the company’s business functions to adopt and embrace globally standardized procurement processes.
• Create plans to address competitive gaps in Vendor Relationship Development and Management.
• Drive down cost through development and implementation of vendor strategy, maintaining operational performance and business delivery timeframes.
• Ensure CareFirst has the right connections and leverage with key vendors at all organizational levels and functions and acts to holistically manage day-to-day ordering, escalation and strategic negotiation, Risk Management, and Process Improvement.
Process and System Development and Improvement:
• Maintain relationships with 3rd party Procurement system technology providers (e.g., Ariba) and ensure alignment in strategic Procurement direction.
• Develop and translate strategy into operational goals, objectives, and process roadmaps and identify resources (people and capital) to support the implementation of these strategies.
• Oversee the proactive data management of CareFirst contracts ensuring all contract workspaces are accurate, value based, communicated, and published in a timely manner.
• Evaluate and renegotiate vendor MSAs to meet current market standards, SLAs and payment terms.
• Identify trends through data analytics, report on key metrics and develop data driven value-based stakeholder solutions
• Ensure timely and accurate assignment of new procurement requests and renewals.
• Ensure accurate contract orders and purchase orders are executed for all procurement transactions.
• Monitor usage of Source-to-Pay systems, cycle times, and process control points, provide real time reports to stakeholders and implement plans for improving system usage/value.
• Implement processes/controls that ensure invoices (and invoicing issues) are processed accurately in partnership with Accounts Payable and business stakeholders.
• Support cost savings initiatives as well as data and spend analysis needs of SS&P leadership and sourcing associates.
• Act upon gathered performance data and provide timely feedback to business partners to ensure quality and stakeholder satisfaction.
Associate Management, Stakeholder Engagement and Training:
• Ensure adoption of strategic procurement and vendor management plans and align department structure and roles to support plan achievement.
• Educate the department on leading market trends which may impact organizational success and proactively develop solutions and recommend process enhancements.
• Work with the team to enable continual improvement and professional development ensuring robust departmental succession plan.
• Oversee development of and timely updates to department and stakeholder training materials and communication programs.
• Monitor development of and updates to department standard operating procedures to ensure compliance with corporate policies and the FAR.
• Drive deployment and adoption of standardized Source-to-Pay processes within the department and across business units.
• Deliver ongoing training to internal and external stakeholder groups, including new hire training, day to day operational issues, updates, etc.
• Motivate, coaches and develops associate growth and skill development.
• Create staff performance plans aligned to organizational goals, establish appropriate measures, monitor and communicate progress and achievement on an ongoing basis.
• Lead periodic vendor briefings with internal staff to discuss new products and services.
• Meet regularly with internal stakeholders to discuss and re-evaluate strategic direction and review current and future vendor relationships to meet ongoing organizational needs.
• Monitor day-to-day vendor risk management processes and procedures to ensure consistency with corporate policy.
• Proactively track RFx pipeline and ensure diverse suppliers are included for consideration wherever possible.
• Ensure monthly diverse supplier reporting to internal and external stakeholder groups.
• Align Procurement and Vendor Management strategies to support Corporate diversity and inclusion initiatives.
Total number of direct reports: 3-4
Total staff managed: 9
Required: This position requires (i) a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or related field, (Master’s Degree Preferred) and (ii) over 10 years of experience in procurement and vendor management - supply chain processes and systems, including 8+ years of progressively responsible leadership/managerial experience. Demonstrable negotiation skills in standard as well as complex environments/situations. Experience working with senior management (customers, suppliers or internal), Budgetary experience, particularly geared to aggressively managing Direct Cost items. (Successful track record showing ability to work with a team to set strategic direction aligned with business goals with a clear execution plan and activity as well as effective team development. Process definition and re-engineering, and metrics-driven performance management. Track record of delivery and execution.
• Strong people and management skills.
• Strong relationship building ability
• Experience with leading eProcurement platforms, Ariba experience preferred.
• Ability to apply sound business principles and practices to project management and change management processes.
• Proven strategic planning and solution creation ability
• Proficiency with data analytics and performance metrics strategies using business management software (e.g., SAP, ERP, CRM)
• Strong presentation and facilitation abilities
• Ability to lead multi-disciplinary, cross functional teams in a matrix structure
• Strong interpersonal skills and mastery level of written and oral communication skills
• Ability to liaise with and influence peers and senior leaders both within and across business units
• Project management, strategy, consulting, process improvement and/or operational experience
• Proven leadership / management of large complex programs and high-performance teams
• MBA preferred
• Experience in operational change management
• PMP certification or completion of courses
• Ability to track technology trends with respect to Purchase to Pay systems
• Experience in the healthcare or health payer markets
• Knowledge of the FAR
Equal Employment Opportunity
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Hire Range Disclaimer
Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history.
Where To Apply
Please visit our website to apply: www.carefirst.com/careers
Federal Disc/Physical Demand
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
The associate is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The associate must frequently talk and hear. Weights up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted.
Sponsorship in US
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship