Resp & Qualifications
CareFirst is a leader in the healthcare industry serving millions of members. Healthworx is the innovation and corporate development arm of CareFirst. Healthworx fosters a culture of innovation throughout the company. To do this, Healthworx engages the startup, early and late stage business ecosystem across the country, targeting and executing strategic opportunities. Healthworx is building a portfolio of investments, products, and strategic partnerships that address the needs of CareFirst, its members and the national healthcare landscape.
The role of the Healthworx Director of Operations and Portfolio Integration (the “Director”) is to manage the day-to-day operations of the Healthworx team, while supporting projects/programs within all Healthworx functions and overseeing the management of CareFirst’s start-up incubator. This is done through management of a direct staff, as well as through matrix relationships with team, divisional, and intra-company staff. The Director will bring experience working with diverse teams (matrix and direct reports) supporting multiple functions across broad enterprises such as CareFirst. The Director will be able to swiftly identify and respond to evolving priorities by shifting the teams’ focus to drive prioritized projects/programs to completion.
Reporting to the Vice President of Healthworx
The primary responsibility of the Director is to support Healthworx operations across all Healthworx functional teams, (venture capital, corporate development, innovation, and commercialization). In this role, the Director is responsible for:
• Managing a team of operational/program management staff to deliver the necessary capabilities for effective and prudent growth.
• Regular (ex. daily/weekly) coordination of team members and their priorities.
• Leadership of internal HWX meetings, those with CareFirst stakeholders, and external meetings with Healthworx partners and strategic opportunities.
• Regular (ex. weekly) documentation, tracking, and reporting on key operational activities, project status, and progression (workflow management).
• Quarterly presentations to Healthworx’s management committee and presentation to executive leadership and CareFirst boards
o Coordination between team members sharing operational, project and program responsibilities
o Coordination between Healthworx and internal stakeholders as well as external partners.
o Establishing and updating of Healthworx RACI, Standard Operating Procedures, process flows, and strategies.
o Coordination of audit responses for internal and external constituencies.
• The Director will also oversee the continued development and operation of the Healthworx start-up incubator.
o Working with Healthworx’s provider-partner to design the program
o Overseeing the incubator manger and
• The Director and the operations team will often be called upon to support larger projects or those which span multiple Healthworx or corporate functions, requiring clear cross functional coordination for effective delivery:
o Project planning, including setting timelines, milestones, budget, and identifying and engaging internal and external stakeholders
o Project coordination including amongst Healthworx team members, CareFirst stakeholders, and external partners.
o Project management including regularly documenting, tracking, and reporting on status and progress as well as resource and priority management.
o Supporting, and leading when necessary, due diligence on opportunities within the Healthworx verticals.
o Having a working knowledge of project subject matter sufficient to engage project stakeholders and independently drive the project forward.
o Ability to develop presentation material and comprehensively present the project to internal and external stakeholders.
o Transition management including knowledge transfer or management of knowledge transfer for projects where Healthworx hands off the opportunity to another internal or external owner.
o Performance management of direct report staff; coaching and professional growth of staff.
• Additional responsibilities include:
o Contributing to the agile, iterative culture of the Healthworx team and broader CareFirst enterprise
o Supporting the analysis of complex business issues and strategic opportunities
o Participating and contributing to decision making on Healthworx opportunities
o Supporting Healthworx business planning development and strategy execution
o Fostering a culture of innovation within CareFirst
o Presenting the Healthworx model to other divisions to accelerate growth and innovation
o Budgeting and P&L accountability for associated team
• Bachelor’s Degree in a management, business, operations, or a related field
• 8+ years of experience managing teams in a business setting, ideally healthcare business setting
• Strong project planning, coordination, and management skills
• Independent thinker who can make decisions strategically and creatively to drive tactical execution
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to drive projects cross-functionally with both internal and external stakeholders
• Experience creating and using project and/or task management tools including experience generating and presenting regular progress and status reports
• MBA, JD, or Master’s degree in business or a health-related discipline
• Experience in one or more of corporate venture, corporate development, or innovation
• Experience conducting comprehensive due diligence into business opportunities
• Experience in an entrepreneurial, agile work environment
• Proven, high-performing track record in positions of responsibility for project completion or delivery
Must be able to effectively work in a fast-paced environment with frequently changing priorities, deadlines, and workloads that can be variable for long periods of time. Must be able to meet established deadlines and handle multiple requests and expectations from internal and external stakeholders.
Department: Strategy, Planning & Healthworx / Office of the CEO
Equal Employment Opportunity
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Hire Range Disclaimer
Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history.
Where To Apply
Please visit our website to apply: www.carefirst.com/careers
Please apply before: 1/28/2020
Federal Disc/Physical Demand
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
The associate is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The associate must frequently talk and hear. Weights up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted.
Sponsorship in US
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship