Resp & Qualifications
SUMMARY: This position provides management and direction within the Financial Accounting Department and oversees the accounting close process and financial analysis function for certain accounting functions for CareFirst Inc. and Affiliates. This position maintains a controlled environment for account analyses and reconciliation of most balance sheet accounts. This position supports various audit activities by working closely with internal, external, and regulatory auditors.
1. Direct the effective and timely monthly accounting close process, including the preparation and review of journal entries. Establish and ensure compliance with the monthly close timeline. Establish accounting processes to support unique business arrangements and contractual agreements. Coordinate development and implementation of internal accounting controls, analytical tools and reports, and systems and process enhancements supporting financial management of the company. Direct the investigation and assist in the resolution of any unusual trends or potential issues to assure data integrity and identify business issues, as appropriate. Monitor and review balance sheet account analyses to identify potential issues and to ensure financial data integrity and timely completion.
2. Prepare and present analysis required to support financial performance to Senior Management with emphasis on actual versus plan/target results. Direct research and analysis in response to special projects and ad-hoc requests related to the organization’s financial performance, including analysis of individual company results and product segment income and care results and trends. Communicate findings to management through concise written and oral presentations.
3. Coordinate the effort to provide support for financial statement audits and review documentation provided to auditors. Provide subject matter expertise in support of corporate initiatives and other special projects.
4. Manage departmental staff through goal setting, guidance, support, coaching, and feedback consistent with CareFirst HR policies and practices. Prioritizes and assigns goals and projects; resolves employee issues and provides developmental opportunities. Produce and manage departmental budget.
5. Identify opportunities and help drive continuous process improvements and innovation within the department.
• Bachelors’ degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business
• A minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible financial accounting/auditing experience, including a minimum of 3 years of management experience
• Demonstrated expertise in accounting and financial operations, internal accounting controls, and an understanding of business and key performance measures.
• Advanced analytical and financial modeling skills, with exceptional in-depth knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
• Knowledge of PC based applications and an understanding of system interfaces.
• Strong interpersonal skills, a team-oriented perspective and able to deal effectively with personnel at all levels of the organization
• Able to train and effectively develop department staff.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills to present issues and conclusions to a diverse audience.
• Multi-tasking ability essential to handle multiple priorities and adjust to changing priorities and requirements in a rapidly evolving organization
Experience with a health insurance organization or healthcare industry practices preferred. A Certification as a Public Accountant (CPA) is also preferred.
Equal Employment Opportunity
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Hire Range Disclaimer
Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history.
Where To Apply
Please visit our website to apply: www.carefirst.com/careers
Please apply before: 12/6/2020
Federal Disc/Physical Demand
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
The associate is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The associate must frequently talk and hear. Weights up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted.
Sponsorship in US
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship