Resp & Qualifications
Under the direction of the Program Director, Procurement Contracts & Governance, the Procurement Contracts Attorney reviews Strategic Sourcing and Procurement contracts to ensure legal, compliance, risk management, and overall contract quality assurance. This position is also directly responsible for drafting and negotiating a variety of commercial contracts.
Procurement risk management:
- Ensures contracts adhere to applicable Risk standards, are internally consistent and appropriately cover the legal and risk considerations.
- Reviews contracts to assess risk, making recommendations to Strategic Sourcing and Procurement, Legal, Business Owners and vendors for insurance requirements, indemnification, and limitation of liability provisions to ensure compliance with parameters established by Risk Management.
- Ensure that Risk and Privacy process controls are met.
- Identify, communicate, and escalate (as appropriate) contract issues and deviations from established contract guidelines.
- Works with the Sourcing Associates, Legal, Business Owner, Risk Management, and other stakeholders to appropriately elevate contract provisions that cannot be agreed upon with the vendor to proper CareFirst signatory authority.
- Examines, recommends, and negotiates risk and alternative risk control techniques to Risk Management in order to minimize contractual risks and assure corporate protection.
- Work with Procurement Contracts Coordinator to establish a system and track vendor COIs.
- Work with Corporate Risk to authorize exceptions to our standard insurance requirements and limitations of liability.
- Work with Enterprise Risk to summarize contract exceptions for limitation of liability to quantify risk across the enterprise.
Contracts and Compliance:
- Review, draft and negotiate a variety of commercial contracts including but not limited to Consulting Services Agreements, Software License Agreements, SaaS Agreements, Non-Disclosure Agreements, etc.
- Ensures contracts adhere to applicable standards, are internally consistent and appropriately cover the legal and risk considerations.
- Ensure that Information Security, Legal, Risk and Privacy process controls are met.
- Identify, communicate and escalate (as appropriate) contract issues and deviations from established contract guidelines.
- Review contracts within an average response time of three (3) days.
- Provide standard language and general guidance on contract terms and conditions.
- Lead vendor negotiations, with the assistance of SS&P and the business owner.
- Provide leadership and direction to staff in the structuring and drafting of contracts and contract redlines
- Provide interpretation of contract terms and conditions to staff
- Perform special projects, as assigned.
- This position requires a Juris Doctorate or equivalent and 1-5 years of experience in corporate contracting.
- Must have contract preparation experience with a working knowledge of the Risk related aspects of contracting, including insurance, indemnification and limitation of liability.
- Demonstrated experience with contract drafting, contract terms and conditions and contract negotiations.
- Excellent project & time management skills including, but not limited to risk assessment, workplan development and management.
- Developed analytical, organizational and coordination skills.
- Effective presentation, negotiation and influencing skills to interface with all levels of management and suppliers.
- Able to apply complex problem-solving abilities to achieve problem ad process solutions. Ability to spot, communicate and mitigate issues.
- Flexibility and the ability to work under time constraints, adapt to shifting priorities, to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Must exhibit computer proficiency in Microsoft Office applications including Excel, Word, and Power Point.
- Good time management skills, high level of self-motivation, and attention to detail.
- Must be able to work well in a team environment as well as independently.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills a must.
- Must be able to effectively work in a fast-paced environment with frequently changing priorities, deadlines, and workloads that can be variable for long periods of time. Must be able to meet established deadlines and handle multiple customer service demands from internal and external customers, within set expectations for service excellence. Must be able to effectively communicate and provide positive customer service to every internal and external customer, including customers who may be demanding or otherwise challenging.
- Knowledge of current technology trends and their impact on legal and risk requirements and industry best practices (e.g. cloud technology, data privacy, and IT security)
- Knowledge of the FAR/HIPAA/Medicare regulations.
- Knowledge of Ariba or similar procurement automation tools.
- Thorough understanding of property/casualty/professional liability insurance and risk management principles.
Equal Employment Opportunity
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Hire Range Disclaimer
Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history.
Where To Apply
Please visit our website to apply: www.carefirst.com/careers
Please apply before: 12/20/20
Federal Disc/Physical Demand
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
The associate is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The associate must frequently talk and hear. Weights up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted.
Sponsorship in US
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship