Resp & Qualifications
PURPOSE: The Broker Relations Advisor serves as important member of the Broker and Consultant Relations team as part of Commercial Markets. The Broker Relations Advisor’s primary responsibility is to bring the value of CareFirst to the marketplace by engaging and working with CareFirst’s distribution channel (brokers and consultants). Under the direction of the Manager of Broker & Consultant Relations for Commercial Markets, the Broker Relations Advisor will regularly meet with brokers and consultants to advise on CareFirst capabilities and develop strategic plans for future engagement. The incumbent will be responsible for partnering with the New Business Representatives to advance and grow our business by educating and advising CareFirst’s distribution channel.
Under the direction of the Manager, Broker and Consultant Relations – Commercial Markets, the Broker Relations Advisor’s accountabilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Responsible for managing and executing an Engagement Plan / Strategy for assigned broker and consultant partners based on their needs. This will require coordinating and scheduling meetings both internally and externally and effectively communicating key information internally throughout CareFirst as well as externally. Consulting and educating brokers and consultants on CareFirst’s capabilities and value will require, at a minimum:
- Effectively communicating and understanding all levels of engagement at assigned brokerages and consulting houses.
- Understanding and communicating to brokers and consultants on CareFirst capabilities and how it is different and unique.
- Providing interpretation and guidance to the CareFirst Sales Organization on how to work with various brokerages and consulting houses
- Developing an Engagement Plan that includes a coordinated curriculum based on the training needs of the broker or consultant. The curriculum would include CareFirst applications, new offerings etc.
- Coordinating and monitoring consultant/broker feedback and recommend appropriate strategies, tactics and operational initiatives to continuously enhance distribution channel satisfaction with CareFirst
- Regularly meeting face to face with consultants and brokers
- Serving as the functional subject matter expert for the broker and consultant market
- Working with internal partners to include Account Executives, Account Managers, Broker Executives, Underwriting, Marketing and others to ensure the right information and messaging is provided to our internal and external customers.
- Effectively articulating feedback from brokers, consultants and the marketplace
- Responsible for business development efforts with brokers and consultants to bring additional business to CareFirst and to promote CareFirst in the Mid-Atlantic area. This development will include at a minimum:
- Increase new business opportunities with key brokers and consultants that have large groups with other carriers
- Establish relationships with targeted brokers and consultants that do little or no business with CareFirst
- Perform SWOT with targeted agencies to identify key areas of concern or improvement and to identify opportunities for future consideration
- Consult with brokers and consultants on the value of CareFirst and develop a strategy for further advancement with us
- Develop an agency team approach to provide training and resources to ensure that all members are aware and educated on CareFirst
- Partner with assigned Sales Representative to provide coordinated transition for new sales opportunities as they arise
- Attend and participate in business and community activities to promote CareFirst and identify new opportunities
- Responsible for monitoring account activity within an agencies’ book of business to assist practice leaders with maximizing their net growth bonus potential. This includes awareness of jeopardy accounts, new business opportunities and cross sell opportunities for specialty products.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: The position does not have direct reports. The position does require the ability to work in a matrix management environment.
SCOPE: This position involves a high level of client interaction in a consulting role. As a critical component of the company’s growth strategy, the Broker Relations Advisor will be accountable for communicating and demonstrating the value of CareFirst in the marketplace. A key measure of success will be the acquisition of new opportunities and the retention and expansion of CareFirst’s existing employer group accounts with targeted brokers and consultants. This position must be able to work in a matrix management environment with functional areas of the organization (Sales, Data Informatics, and Medical).
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in sales, relationship management and/or marketing required.
- 3 years of experience in the health insurance industry
- Excellent knowledge of healthcare terminology, managed care concepts
- A current Health/Life License in Maryland, Virginia, and District of Columbia must be obtained within the first 60 days.
- Proven analytic and problem-solving skills
- Exceptional presentation skills with professional delivery
- Demonstrated ability to act as a credible source to convey complex reporting and healthcare trends in an easily understood manner to guide audience
- High attention to detail
- Experience with SalesForce and other sales management technology (MiEdge, etc)
- Proven effective written and interpersonal communication skills, well organized, ability to multi-task and work independently, promote flexibility and teamwork Strong PC skills with experience using Microsoft Office applications
- Willingness to travel (mostly local travel required, occasion travel outside Baltimore/Washington area)
- Must be able to effectively work in a fast-paced environment with frequently changing priorities, deadlines, and workloads that can be variable for long periods of time. Must be able to meet established deadlines and handle multiple customer service demands from internal and external customers, within set expectations for service excellence. Must be able to effectively communicate and provide positive customer service to every internal and external customer, including customers who may be demanding or otherwise challenging.
- Experience at broker or consulting firms preferred
- Master’s degree preferred
Equal Employment Opportunity
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Hire Range Disclaimer
Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history.
Where To Apply
Please visit our website to apply: www.carefirst.com/careers
Please apply before: 12/20/2020
Federal Disc/Physical Demand
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
The associate is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The associate must frequently talk and hear. Weights up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted.
Sponsorship in US
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship