Resp & Qualifications
PURPOSE: Principle accountabilities include Regulatory/Policy Lead and Long-Term high-level financial planning and forecasting functions to ensure timely and accurate reporting by assisting team members. This position will perform such tasks as: researching and incorporating the impacts of healthcare reform in financial forecasts, supporting the CEO and Board of Directors as needed, preparing various plan and forecast related schedules, and ad-hoc analysis as needed. The Analyst will analyze and interpret data, utilize various sources to gather data, make recommendations to improve the financial planning process, work with other areas and communicate any issues in the process to the lead team members, play an active role in problem resolution, and take ownership of special projects to lead them to completion.
Include but are not limited to the following:
Long-Term Financial Modeling:
Responsible for modeling high-level long-term financial forecasts including various scenarios as directed by senior management. This includes ensuring that assumptions used are reasonable and in-line with the latest healthcare reform information available. Also responsible for completing in depth analysis of long-term financial forecasts as needed. The incumbent will be expected to present their modeling to senior management on a regular basis.
Responsible for tracking new developments in healthcare reform which will impact financial planning. This includes attending meetings, doing independent research, and communicating to other areas within the organization about potential impacts. This also includes keeping management up to date on all information.
Support Day-Day functions of Financial Planning Department:
Responsible for contributing to the development and extensive analytical review of planning information/data/reports in the planning/forecasting function. This includes working within the team, working with other areas within the Company, producing presentations for senior management and communicating status of deliverables to the department supervisor. Additionally, it includes assisting in the creation of financial models used to analyze and generate data. The types of analyses performed include rate/volume analysis, trend analysis and recast analysis. This also involves assisting in the delivery of various ad-hoc reports related to the plan/forecast. This covers all areas of the Company, i.e. Indemnity and HMO.
Presentations to Executive Management:
Develop materials for full Board of Directors meetings, Strategic Planning Committee meetings, and Executive Committee meetings. Board and Committee meeting materials typically consist of data, charts, graphs and supporting explanatory/analytical narrative regarding: trends/challenges in the healthcare industry; the company’s annual and three year Plan; performance vs. Plan and compared to other Blues or competition; financial, enrollment and operational metrics analysis; explanation and status of key initiatives; and key issues facing CareFirst. Development of materials requires a strong understanding of key aspects of CareFirst’s operation and the metrics used to measure corporate and divisional performance. Work closely with Strategic Planning, Marketing, Medical, SBUs, TOS, and Public Policy.
Ad-Hoc Financial Analysis:
Responsible for performing more complex financial analyses reports for management as assigned. This could include, but is not limited to annual reporting for S&P and AFF, market segment analysis, financial statement analysis and RFPs. This involves examining and interpreting data, working with other areas of the Company, and presenting and explaining analyses to management. This also involves working knowledge types of financial models and capital budgeting techniques. Also responsible for producing reports and information timely, accurately and efficiently for management.
· Bachelors degree in Accounting, Business Administration or Finance.
· One (1) to three (3) years of progressively responsible Financial Planning and Analysis work experience, or related work experience that draws upon analytical abilities. Specifically:
· Proven ability to analyze Actual financial results and to model future projections.
· Strong analytical skills, including the ability to synthesize and create a cohesive picture from a wide variety of information types and sources as well as to assess strategic implications.
· Keen attention to detail. Proven organizational ability to track and update multiple model iterations.
· Excellent data analysis and PC skills, with a particular strength in MS Excel.
· Ability to build cooperative, productive relationships with internal clients and information sources.
· Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to take a leadership role with both peers and those more senior.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills, with the ability to effectively communicate complex issues and findings in writing and orally to CEO, Board, executive, and peer audiences. Strong presentation skills.
· Independent and self-starter. Proven ability to handle multiple tasks and projects simultaneously and to produce insightful and reliable analyses in a fast-paced, high-pressure, deadline oriented environment.
· Ability to manage long-term projects meeting deadlines and ensuring compliance.
· Organization and methodical work habits.
· Plan and prioritize work.
· Ability to prepare ad-hoc analysis, experience studies and reports.
· Strong computing skills (MS Excel).
· Must demonstrate flexibility, innovation and problem-solving skills and resourcefulness.
· Ability to express technical and financial analysis in a clear, concise manner on both written and oral form.
· Work both independently and as a member of a team.
· MBA, preferably in a quantitative and analytical discipline (e.g., Mathematics, Finance, Economics, Statistics, Actuarial Science).
· MPH, or MS with an emphasis in a quantitative and analytical discipline (e.g., Finance, Economics, Mathematics) – preferred.
· Specific experience building Excel-based financial models.
· Knowledge of CareFirst organization, data sources, and key metrics.
· Understanding of healthcare marketplace dynamics and healthcare financial and operational reporting.
· Creation and maintenance of a network of personal contacts both within CareFirst and in the external health care community for sources of information.
Equal Employment Opportunity
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Hire Range Disclaimer
Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history.
Where To Apply
Please visit our website to apply: www.carefirst.com/careers
Federal Disc/Physical Demand
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
The associate is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The associate must frequently talk and hear. Weights up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted.
Sponsorship in US
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship