Resp & Qualifications
PURPOSE: This position supervises and serves as a subject matter expert for the CareFirst, Inc. administrative expenses and ensures the data integrity for account balances for related liability accounts. Responsibilities include the maintenance of a controlled environment to support accurate, consistent and timely administrative expense recordation and analysis; participant in the development of the corporate budget process; review of account reconciliations; and management of staff on daily functions. Plan, lead, supervise, and coordinate tasks for a variety of complex special projects. The incumbent interacts with Senior Vice Presidents, Vice Presidents, and Directors to advise and resolve complex issues. Work is reviewed for overall professional judgement, quality, and performance effectiveness of the staff. Coordinates research or provides consulting support to Corporate Audit, external audit agencies, and various consulting firms.
Reporting to the Manager of Budget and Expense Management, this position is responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
1. Supervises and coordinates the monthly close process of development of actual expenditures and reviews variance analysis. Reviews journal entries and account reconciliations to assess financial risks/opportunities and overall quality. Investigates and resolves unusual trends or potential issues to assure data integrity and identify business concerns.
2. Coordinates the research of administrative expense issues for Senior Management and coordinates complex special projects involving technical accounting expertise. Serves as subject matter expert for business processes and related systems. Coordinates the research, analysis, testing and implementation of system upgrades, enhancements and disaster recovery for Oracle GL and PeopleSoft for administrative expense functions. Supports the annual corporate budget process.
3. Coordinates research and provides consulting support to Corporate Audit, external audit agencies, and various consulting firms. Responsible for developing strong internal controls, ensuring data integrity of the general ledger and monitoring compliance with accounting standards and government regulations. Mitigates problem resolution, establishes appropriate reporting standards and implements new accounting treatment/processes.
4. Independently supervises assigned staff by providing team development, guidance, coaching, and feedback consistent with CareFirst, Inc. Human Resource policies and practices. Provides staff development for analytical skills. Expands staff knowledge and skills of CareFirst business processes, quality assurance, and system development methodology. Prioritizes and assigns routine work and projects; resolves associate issues and provides coaching for development.
Failure to properly identify, analyze, investigate and correct problems encountered/noted in the position would:
• considerably impact the operations/management decisions of the company,
• materially misstate profit and loss information,
• financially impact reimbursement of federal government contracts.
The risk of not accurately recording expenses can result in potential audit findings and liability (cost-disallowance and penalties) of non-compliance on FAR/CAS issues, and can result in inadequate Federal Employee Program budget preparation impacting the level of budget approval by the FEP Director’s Office.
Required: A BS in Accounting or Finance, and 6+ years of progressively responsible accounting and supervisory experience. In depth knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles GAAP, Statutory (STAT), and federal regulations (FAR).
Skills/Abilities: Additionally, this position requires expertise in budgeting, strong analytical skills, excellent communication skills (both written and verbal), strong PC and financial system skills, strong problem solving skills, ability to work independently and as a team member, and the ability to supervise staff.
Preferred: CPA. Experience with Oracle Financials and intermediate to advanced excel skills.
Equal Employment Opportunity
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Hire Range Disclaimer
Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history.
Where To Apply
Please visit our website to apply: www.carefirst.com/careers
Please apply before: 1/14/21
Federal Disc/Physical Demand
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
The associate is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The associate must frequently talk and hear. Weights up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted.
Sponsorship in US
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship