Resp & Qualifications
We are looking for a hands-on People/Tech Leader
Join the revolution in health care IT….
We are working on “the big picture” of the future of health care information technology, and what we do touches the lives of millions of people. At CareFirst, you will have the opportunity to influence the direction of healthcare as we move our IT Operations Division through an exciting transformation. As a result, we are looking for an accomplished Manager, Corporate Systems who will be responsible for leading IT applications supporting one or more business operations, ensuring continuous operations, optimized costs, process automation and agility. The manager will lead application support, development, operational readiness, and digital transformation in a manner consistent with the Company and Departmental guidelines, vision, mission statement and objectives. This is a hands-on position responsible for all elements of application portfolio management requiring leadership of application development, production availability and digital transformation of IT Operations Application area.
Some of the key responsibilities include….
• Overseeing support and development of CareFirst application and integrations.
• Managing application enhancement and support backlog, development, and delivery and establish daily operational readiness, and availability standards, practices, and procedures.
• Work closely with the respective business and technical leaders; partners, vendors, and other internal IT areas to drive enhancements and efficient operations. This includes implementation of agile processes, maintain roadmap and backlog of enhancements, coordinate application area operations with peers.
• Champion IT transformation, identify opportunities and progressively implement automated processes to ensure high availability, reliability and reduce cost. Organize user testing, collect feedback, organize actionable priorities, plan, and execute deployments to support large customer base.
• Use customer data, usage, and system analytics to identify operations & system opportunities and evaluate results. The continuous feedback loop, to achieve continuous improvement and continuous delivery of value, is a key measure of success and ensure compliance with established standards, practices, policies, and procedures.
• Utilize current technologies and upcoming technologies to ensure operational availability, performance, and reliability. Use of upcoming technologies such as cloud based and hybrid models, streaming, APIs, anonymous functions, container models, AI/ML, automation may be needed.
• Motivate the teams to achieve company & division goals and embrace agility & agile methods.
• Manage budgets for the work area including staff, contingent staff, projects and contracts and identify opportunities to improve on cost savings. Ensure partner adherence to contractual obligations.
Your Accountabilities will include….
• Manage departmental staff, resources, and assignments to achieve efficient and effective operations of the applications and enhancements. Ensure alignment and availability of CareFirst associates, contingent staff, and partners to meet division’s strategic objectives.
• Own, lead and manage the technical design and operational processes. Ensure operational availability, readiness, and efficient execution of operational processes. Provide automation solutions to enhance operational effectiveness and optimize costs.
• Plan, manage and execute Agile SDLC and planning activities consistent with CareFirst practices to enhance, support and maintain production code utilizing broad range of on-premises and cloud deployments, in a hybrid and/or multi cloud structure.
• Champion the success of the team, the division, and the company. Evaluate performance of direct associates. Provide mentorship, training and direction adhering to CareFirst policies. Motivate, counsel, and develop team members in alignment with the company direction, policies, and available budget.
• Develop and implement the plan for IT transformation of assigned application area within IT operations. Establish practices, procedures, and policies to support IT transformation. Implement continuous process improvement, agile practices, automation and DevSecOps practices.
• Communicate with business stakeholders, other IT areas, vendors, partners, and government agencies. Examples of such partners and agencies include FEPOC, BlueCross BlueShield Association, OPM.
• Ensure team’s short term and long-term goals are achieved, SLAs are established, coordinated, enforced, and achieved and work closely with Strategic sourcing office to ensure appropriate availability of contingent staff, enforcement of operational goals and SLAs.
• Responsible for exempt staff of IT personnel and IT support staff, including but not limited to IT programming positions, IT support staff, Business Analysts, Testers and Project Managers.
• Directly accountable for quality and cost-effective operations and maintenance of various mission-critical systems and/or programs at CareFirst. Manager is also directly accountable for the professional wellbeing and development of associates within the team. Develops performance plans, and training and development plans for the associates.
• Manage staffing needs such as hiring, salary adjustments, development and training, performance management, and corrective action according to company policies and procedures. The manager is also accountable for establishing a customer service culture within the team to maximize the potential for delivering quality products and services.
• Lead and run the operations within established budget. Monitor and manage budget variances in accordance with the established policies.
Your experience should demonstrate success in the following areas….
• Extensive knowledge of application design, implementation, and operational patterns and practices.
• Knowledge of one or more technologies such as Java and related frameworks, service integrations, RDBMS such as Oracle, PostgreSQL etc, security integrations, application monitoring tools such as Dynatrace, Splunk, Elk etc.
• Planning, problem solving and leadership skills. Be able to motivate, delegate and as needed get in the code and design to achieve objectives.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills; excellent presentation skills. The candidate should be able to partner with business and other IT operations peers, management and organization leaders.
• Demonstrated understanding and practical hands on experience with one or more of Lean Agile development and support methodologies such as xP, TDD, DDD; Scrum or similar project management practice; agile frameworks such as SAFe, Tools such as JIRA or ServiceNow are highly desired and preferred.
• Experience in management and execution of IT operations using automation platforms, frameworks and tools is desired but not required.
• The candidate should be able to work in a rapid paced development supporting continuous incremental change and 24x7 operations.
• A completed Bachelor of Science degree or higher in Computer Science, Information Systems management, or similar degree. We can consider those with exceptional experience in lieu of completed degree.
• At least 8 or more years of experience in IT Application Development and Support field or commensurate work experience.
• 2 or more years of IT management or project leadership or team leadership experience preferred.
• CareFirst IT or Health Insurance IT or Healthcare related industry experience is a plus.
• Working knowledge of one or more of the following technologies is desired but not required: Private cloud technologies, public cloud technologies such AWS or Azure or GCP, integrations using containers and microservices, API management, Postgres/MySQL/SQLServer, DevSecOps.
• Broad knowledge or experience working with CareFirst or other BlueCross BlueShield operations is a plus.
• Experience with mainframe and client/server technology. Experience with other tools specific to the area managed. Extensive Personal Computer (PC) skills including Microsoft Office software such as Word, EXCEL, MS Project, and PowerPoint are preferred.
• Experience with remote work, leading and managing distributed teams, working in a matrix environment is a plus.
Equal Employment Opportunity
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Hire Range Disclaimer
Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history.
Where To Apply
Please visit our website to apply: www.carefirst.com/careers
Please apply before: 1/15/21
Federal Disc/Physical Demand
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
The associate is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The associate must frequently talk and hear. Weights up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted.
Sponsorship in US
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship