Resp & Qualifications
The Sr. Digital Designer is a key role within the Digital Design team, a division of the CareFirst Marketing department. This position reports to the Digital Creative Supervisor and involves working closely with other team members with different disciplines.
The Sr. Digital Designer is responsible for taking a lead in a full range of design and development activities focused primarily on ensuring the corporate CareFirst standards are met; design and development creates optimal site user experience; and websites and other digital platforms are coded consistently and are easy to manage. The Lead Digital Designer is also responsible for auditing websites and campaigns for improved user experience, keeping up with technology changes, and advocating for new technology to be applied to CareFirst business needs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to the following:
Digital Design and Front-end Development
• Leads and reviews the design and coding of websites to ensure that best practice coding standards are implemented, and the designs are consistent with the CareFirst brand.
• Performs industry design audit to understand current technologies and design components to drive increased user engagement and web adoption and usage.
• Investigates new coding technologies and frameworks to ensure corporate digital presence is built consistently using the best coding capabilities relevant to the project work.
• Analyzes feasibility of low to complex coding and user interface design enhancements, automations and processes to provide future design recommendations.
• Leads strategy for user research, testing and site analytics for all digital projects.
• Reviews and evaluates site analytics to inform design decision making.
• Identifies opportunities to improve workflow within the Creative team and Marketing department as a whole.
• Generates ideas for a variety of digital projects and integrated marketing campaigns, and then brings to the team to influence more collaboration.
• Designs and codes for websites built within the Teamsite content management system as well as custom-built microsites and landing pages.
• Designs and develops email templates in 3rd party vendor email distribution platforms.
• Supports the design and implementation of social media marketing efforts, online advertising and digital sponsorships.
• Creates website architecture, wireframes, user flow documentation and proofs of concept (POCs) in line with project requirements and usability best practices.
• Sets up and implements analytics tracking code (Google Analytics) for various websites, social media, email, and other web platforms.
• Quality checks design and coding work while maintaining high standards and consistency across digital platforms.
• Ensure the team’s web projects are validated and tested according to web standards and best practices including 508 Compliance and accessibility standards.
• Works closely with internal teams to determine best design and user interface solutions for projects or day-to-day implementation.
• Assists with the development of the design technology strategy for digital platforms.
• Presents project work and participates in design reviews with internal stakeholders.
• Supports day-to-day web design updates and enhancements as needed.
Digital Project Planning, Implementation & Testing
• Leads the unit testing and user interaction for all digital designs and development while in a testing environment.
• Reviews the team’s documentation for UAT testing, including defects and issues, on both day-to-day projects as well as for larger, corporate initiatives against expectations of site functionality and possible issues.
• Consolidates the team’s reports and communicates defects to the project teams.
• Documents best-practice coding approaches for each digital platform.
• Collaborates with various internal teams, business units and departments to establish and define project requirements.
• Works closely with management to lead the development of implementation plans and ensures all tasks/objectives are completed on time.
• Works collaboratively with other Web Design team members to help troubleshoot design and development issues, and then recommend solutions.
• Evaluates the interactive experience of CareFirst’s websites including design, functionality, online content, navigation, and interactivity.
• Manages own assignments, regularly communicating progress and prioritizing work effectively to ensure timelines are met.
• Develops and maintains understanding of CareFirst infrastructure as it relates to digital platforms, web development frameworks and other technologies.
• Created standard operating procedures (SOPs), workflows and best practices for digital platforms within CareFirst infrastructure.
Digital Design Research & Development
• Performs competitive research and market trend analysis of the health care industry marketing, including current technologies and design components that will help enhance CareFirst’s presence in web, social and other digital platforms.
• Establishes a deep understanding of CareFirst’s products and services, as well as our values and mission.
• Researches and identifies target audiences to best impact the design experience.
• Documents and shares knowledge with team members and other co-workers.
• Supports work efforts with external vendors, as needed, to help provide details on our corporate design and development guidelines and rules.
• Develops an understanding of Google Analytics (tracking code, Google Tag Manager, UTM parameters, etc.) and user behavior data to improve design approaches.
Team Lead & Project Management Responsibilities
• On-boards new team members by training and educating them on CareFirst’s design and development best-practices and rules, and brand guidelines.
• Trains new and existing Creative team members on internal and 3rd party tools used by the team.
• Supports and inspires team in the areas of strategic design thinking specifically ideation, brainstorming, prototyping, and turning ideas into action.
• Attends technical meetings with TOS and represents the Digital Creative team as the SME in front-end, user interface and experience design.
• Assists the Supervisor in managing the job request tool by assigning work to the team, and communicating the requests needs with the business stakeholders.
• Provides coaching, feedback and mentoring to the Digital Creative team.
• Develops processes and regular audits and evaluations of the web content standards.
• Bachelor’s degree in front-end design, web design, digital design or other relevant degree or equivalent experience, with a minimum of 5-8 years web and digital design experience.
• 4+ years of experience with Bootstrap framework and other framework coding.
• 3+ years of experience using wireframe and prototyping tools.
• 3+ years of experience with design, development and testing on an email platform.
• Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite programs, specifically Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, CC Libraries.
• Proficiency creating user-centric web experiences within the parameters of UX/UI, SEO, mobile and responsive design.
• Experience with the Content Management System TeamSite or 3-5 years of combined experience with other content management systems such as WordPress, Joomla, or Drupal.
• Experience using industry leading eLearning authoring tool.
• Demonstrable understanding and experience with the fundamentals of designing for social platforms.
• Knowledge and experience in how to implement code on a website to collect web and social usage analytics. Experience with Google Analytics is a plus.
• Understanding of design and coding standards for 508 compliance/web accessibility.
• Strong user design capabilities and a strong knowledge of web design in relationship to how sites are used.
• The ability to learn new technologies quickly based on prior experiences with similar tools and an understanding of infrastructure.
• Must demonstrate advanced strategic thinking skills.
• Must be able to work independently as well as with a team.
• Must be able to effectively work in a fast-paced environment with frequently changing priorities, deadlines, and workloads.
• Must be able to meet deadlines and handle multiple customer service demands from internal and external customers, within set expectations for service excellence.
• Must be able to effectively communicate and provide positive customer service to every internal and external customer, including customers who may be demanding or otherwise challenging.
• Excellent organizational, written and documentation skills particularly as they relate to design and coding.
• Strong understanding of health care marketplace dynamics.
• Experience with Google Analytics and Google Tag Manager setup and configuration.
• Understanding of design and coding for 508 compliance/web accessibility
• Familiarity with the following software and technologies helpful:
o Salesforce Marketing Cloud (including Exact Target)
o Other coding languages – PHP, JSON, XML, etc.
This position is also subject to being "on call" for emergency situations requiring immediate resolution. Occasional travel to some CareFirst locations may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Hire Range Disclaimer
Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history.
Where To Apply
Please visit our website to apply: www.carefirst.com/careers
Please apply before: 3.20.21
Federal Disc/Physical Demand
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
The associate is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The associate must frequently talk and hear. Weights up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted.
Sponsorship in US
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship