Resp & Qualifications
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages projects, develops and directs technical project teams through all phases and activities of the project life-cycle process associated with major CareFirst information technology systems projects. Handles less complex projects that may have enterprise wide impact and/or handle portions of corporate initiatives. This may or may not require handling multiple projects simultaneously depending on the scope and complexities of projects assigned.
- Determines Project goals and priorities with management, program manager and/or project sponsors. Creates all project planning documentation (including updates, status reports, etc.) and follows all CareFirst project methodologies (discovery documents, charters, etc.). Establish and publish clear priorities among project activities to produce a business plan in accordance with the strategic plan, operating budget, capital planning procedures and agency guidance. Coordinates team activities to meet project milestones.
- Works with sponsors and stakeholders to develop a business case on the cost/benefit of the proposed project for presentation to management for review and approval. Works with business leads to define and manage operational readiness. Identifies standards or requirements for change management. Participates in change control (for example, reviewing configuration change requests). Develops or implements information systems security and entitlement requirements and plans; and ensures appropriate product-related training and documentation are developed and made available to customers.
- Manage and communicate a clear vision of the projects objectives, and motivate the cross functional project team to achieve them; create a project environment that enables peak performance by the entire team.
- Establishes and publishes clear priorities among project activities. Coordinates team activities to meet project milestones.
- Directs/leads project teams comprised of subject matter experts, technical specialists, and support staff to produce a business plan in accordance with the strategic plan, operating budget, capital planning procedures..
- Prepares, implements, monitors, and updates the project plan. Coordinates with the business owner and upper level management to ensure the actions are consistent with the approved plan.
- Oversees the design, construction, testing, and implementation of technical and functional specifications of a project technology system. Negotiates Statement of Work/Scope of Services for IT products and services. Develops information systems testing strategies, plans or scenarios.
Project Monitoring and Control/Risk Management:
- Analyze risks, establish contingency plans and identify trigger events and responsibility for initiating mitigating action. Gather stakeholder input, rank the top projects risks in terms of total impact. Accountable for tracking and reporting on progress to plan, cost and schedule reporting and change control. Manage change to preserve business plan commitments; initiate review if projects must change.
- Communicate risks to stakeholders and business sponsors, escalate issues and risks for mitigation. Manage relationships with project stakeholders, including internal and external clients and vendors, keeping stakeholders informed of progress and issues in order to manage expectations on all project requirements and deliverables. Facilitate regularly scheduled project meetings for the project team, workgroup, executive steering committee, risk planning and change control.
- Proactively identify changes in work scope and ensure appropriate planning measures are taken with internal and external clients to reassess and amend the scope of work requirement, budget and timeline.
- Provides input to Executive updates and reports to enable CareFirst Executives to make informed and strategic decisions on project portfolio.
- Provides direction, prioritization and motivation to project team staff, comprised of business/systems analysts conducting research and analysis on system integration and implementation, in order to manage allocation of resources to meet work fluctuations and time deadlines in the delivery process. Manages a matrix staff of 5-20, scalable to Corporate Initiative.
- Coach to clarify assignments and deliverables; mentor others in project management practices; review quality of work and manage the integration of team members’ work.
- Manage Vendor relations and procurement related to the projects
- Manages the Project Budget with overall budget accountability. Manages project budgets for both expense and capital against the original project budget.
- Provides regularly updates to project sponsor and stakeholders on the status of the budget. Documents reasons for budget excess or shortfall. Maintains current statements of work for all contractors; track and approve contractor invoices in a timely manner. Creates Executive Summaries for all contractor resources required to complete a project
Required: This position requires a four-year degree in CIS/MIS or equivalent experience of 2-4 years of related project management experience in a large scale, cross functional, multi-system environment.
Out of the 2-4 years required, at least 2 years in a combination of the following:
• Progressive broad-based Project Management experience (which could include consulting) is desirable; knowledge and implementation experience in new computing architectures and networked computing struc¬tures.
• Experience as Project Manager, with working knowledge of Systems development lifecycle and the Project Management Lifecycle
• Ability to lead dynamic, energized, and highly creative multidiscipline high-performance work teams in learning and applying new skills/techniques to respond to business needs.
• Leadership skills including: coaching, organizing, integrating, directing, controlling and motivating.
• Ability to effectively adapt to rapidly changing technology and apply it to business needs.
• Experience managing and delivering Business and IT centric projects using (where appropriate) leading-edge technology, and older legacy systems.
• Solid teamwork and interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate and persuade customers, employees, and management at all levels and thrive in a cross-functional environment.
• Excellent oral and written communications; an ability to present and discuss technical information in a way that establishes rapport, persuades others, and gains understanding.
• Exceptional project management skills, effectively arranging resources and managing small to moderate projects in a cross-functional environment, work flow balancing, activity scheduling, problem resolution and flexibility
• Ability to analyze project needs and determine resources needed to meet objectives, possess good technical skills including scheduling, estimating and costing
• Strong analytical, problem-solving, and conceptual skills.
• Knowledge of local systems and experience with hardware, software and high level programming is required in order to understand the effect a new project will have throughout all related systems.
• MS Office proficiency.
Preferred: Undergraduate degree preferred. Prior Health insurance industry exposure, specific experience with successful project implementations.
Equal Employment Opportunity
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Hire Range Disclaimer
Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history.
Where To Apply
Please visit our website to apply: www.carefirst.com/careers
Federal Disc/Physical Demand
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
The associate is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The associate must frequently talk and hear. Weights up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted.
Sponsorship in US
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship