Resp & Qualifications
CareFirst is undertaking a digital transformation where we are retooling our technology stack to speed our value delivery capabilities to maintain our competitiveness. The Digital Delivery organization consists of multiple domains serving all customer segments and all end users, including all front, middle, and back office capabilities for both traditional and modern cloud based technologies. To drive this transformation, Quality Engineering (QE) across the organization is critical. This role is a leadership position within the Continuous Delivery Enablement team in the Digital Delivery organization which will drive quality engineering best practices, standards, metrics/reporting, communities of practice, and a matrixed governance model to ensure quality standards are met while speeding value delivery consistent with CareFirst business objectives.
The Manger is responsible for:
- Developing near and long term Quality Engineering strategy that spans test data management, environment management, automated functional and integration testing, performance testing, and non functional testing for both legacy and new applications in a collaborative, globally matrixed organization across locations, time-zones and cultures.
- Ensuring the QE strategy supports and enables the DevSecOps strategy that meets business needs.
- Ensuring that delivered applications meet design and requirement specifications, adhere to CareFirst best practices for Software Development and meet all quality expectations
- Working in a matrixed way with cross functional teams including value stream leaders, infrastructure, data services, security, architecture, and program management office to lead the creation, enablement, and adoption of quality standards and best practices
- Challenging and inspiring the team to innovate, be creative and ensure development of quality solutions
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES: Under the direction of an IT Director or above, responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Provide Client Services
- Provide QE subject matter expertise and leadership by participating in and consulting on multiple value streams while maintaining a high-quality level of service, supporting issue resolution and management of teams and scope
- Able to interact with VS teams and cross-functional stakeholders at all levels, conduct gap analysis and recommend improvement backlog
- Provide technical leadership, mentoring and governance to the engineering teams on adhering to and implementing QE standards and best practices
- Provide necessary guidance to the VS teams related to QE (TDD, BDD, Test automation, performance testing, building quality in from the beginning, and test data management)
- Provide guidance to DevSecOps teams with respect to QE best practices to enable a continuous delivery pipeline
- Work with the Value Stream teams to build quality and timely solutions enabled by QE tools and processes
- Serves as the Quality Technology Leader across multiple focus areas. Knowledgeable about creating/developing/maintaining applications accounting for challenges in areas such as virtualization, infrastructure, security, data services, often spanning multiple heterogeneous platforms, and particularly as these solutions apply to new business drivers. Also performs or assists in problem resolution, recommending alternative techniques and providing training and guidance related to primary areas of responsibility and emerging technologies.
Research, Enable, and Improve QE capabilities
- Build and develop new tools and framework for improving/automating the QE process
- Drive both technology and product innovation through rapid prototyping and iterative development
- Implement new QE tools, frameworks and processes by working with IT Ops and Security team
- Define the approach for make data available for dev and testing by working with Data services team
- Ensure QE best practices are understood and addressed by the integrating partners and business
- Promotes excellence in end-to-end testing, test automation, Test Driven Development, Behavior Driven Development
- Proactively analyzes and reviews emerging technologies, changes in the Insurance/Healthcare industry and the business functions of various clients, in order to determine if the advanced applications fit the needs of changing strategies, goals and objectives (develops and maintains technical knowledge through training, classes, …). Selects, evaluates and recommends third-party software solutions for business problems as appropriate. Resolves interoperability challenges related to business applications and related middleware components. Provides technical and business documents; including formal/informal oral presentations and standards development/documentation.
Lead and Mentor engineers
- Lead and Mentor engineers, work with managers and operations to ensure that systems meets reliability, accuracy and performance goals
- Develop and maintain a highly engaged team that is collaborative, with a high-performance culture
- Coaches and manages staff within a matrixed governance model to ensure that consistency is maintained and adequate to meet business objectives. Ensures primary and backup support resources are identified, trained, and in place for the current production applications. Plans, coordinates, and supervises activities related to maintaining and enhancing production-mode applications that utilize a broad range of technologies and platforms.
• BA/BS in computer science or related IT field, or equivalent experience.
• A minimum of 10 years of experience in high-level systems and/or applications development, and integration, including database design and access, and familiarity with networking fundamentals.
• Demonstrate application development and analytical (i.e. requirements gathering) skills, as well as the ability to learn new technologies quickly based on prior experiences with similar tools and an understanding of infrastructure.
• Ability to work independently, assist team members in their development strategies, prepare reports to track progress as required, conduct training, and prepare training materials as required.
• Good organizational and documentation skills which are essential to ensure developed source code can be interpreted by other members of the development team.
• Superior written and verbal communication skills and the ability to present technical terminology to internal clients of all levels and external vendors.
• Prior experience in project management, programmer analysis and/or application development and experience leading software development life cycle projects
• Ability to budget, organize and manage teams
• Ability to provide assistance to project management on multiple projects.
• Ability to teach, develop, and motivate associates
• Ability to lead the design of large-scale enterprise systems with N-tier architectures, working experience of service oriented architecture (SOA) and experience with the integration of the systems on different platforms.
• Knowledge of data modeling, object modeling, and system performance optimization.
• BS or MS in Computer Science,
• Previous HealthCare industry experience
- Proven consulting background and experience of working on Agile / IT process transformations
- Experience advising major transformation initiatives in business, operations and technology
- Experienced in executive-level interaction, coaching and advisory services
- Good understanding of SDLC waterfall, Agile/SAFe
- Strong experience with Deployment/Continuous Integration/ Continuous Testing/ Continuous Delivery processes and tools and have expertise in CI/CD tools and framework
- Experience mentoring, coaching, and/or leading a team and able to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization
- A track record of developing people and process solutions
- Experience of using Organizational Change Management along with process improvement initiatives
- Superior written, communication and presentation skills; with proven ability to communicate verbally and in writing strategic concepts and options to facilitate decision making
- Knowledge of SAFe and understanding of Portfolio, program and team level
- Prior experience in programming and/or software development preferred
Equal Employment Opportunity
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Hire Range Disclaimer
Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history.
Where To Apply
Please visit our website to apply: www.carefirst.com/careers
Please apply before: 5.6.21
Federal Disc/Physical Demand
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
The associate is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The associate must frequently talk and hear. Weights up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted.
Sponsorship in US
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship