Resp & Qualifications
PURPOSE: The Senior Business Intelligence (BI) Developer/Analyst is a highly motivated professional responsible for developing innovative and complex data solutions and applications to support actuarial analytics specializing in medical economics. With a critical eye towards data integrity and a deep understanding of claim and provider data, the Senior Business Intelligence (BI) Developer/Analyst will work closely with actuaries to produce trend analytics tools and dashboards and assist with ad hoc reporting and analysis.
Additionally, the Senior Business Intelligence (BI) Developer/Analyst will partner with actuaries to support the financial impact analysis related to the building of and changes to provider networks and contracting.
The Senior Business Intelligence (BI) Developer/Analyst is expected to have a strong understanding of the business and general healthcare data and performs analysis on the data to validate accuracy and proper reporting based on established business rules for their own work and that of colleagues. The Senior Business Intelligence (BI) Developer/Analyst is expected to make decisions on the appropriate data sources, the optimal approach to solve business problems, and to ensure that results tie to appropriate controls. The Senior Business Intelligence (BI) Developer/Analyst is also expected to mentor staff, provide guidance on projects and represent Actuarial interests during interactions throughout CareFirst.
This is a fast-paced, collaborative and iterative environment requiring quick learning, agility and flexibility.
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES: Under the general direction of the Actuarial Systems Manager, the incumbent’s accountabilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
Support the agile design and implementation of complex end-to-end data solutions and applications to meet the reporting and analytical needs of actuaries:
• Design and implement relational and dimensional data models as well as performance tune databases and queries
• Write efficient and maintainable ETL focused on re-usability and clear, logical execution
• Program advanced, sophisticated SQL incorporating complex business logic and define appropriate control tie outs
• Provide limited project management support and direction to ensure deliverables are on schedule and satisfy business requirements
• Independently work with actuaries to gather/understand business requirements
Develop, Test, and Implement efficient and maintainable program logic for existing and new applications in accordance with the technical specifications. Generate clear and concise documentation as required within the programs and application documentation repository.
Perform financial, actuarial and healthcare reporting and analytics to meet the business needs of actuaries:
• Independently support the development of complex, sophisticated analytics based on financial, actuarial and healthcare concepts
• Review and analyze reporting results for accuracy based on tie outs to appropriate controls and for financial and actuarial soundness to ensure accurate calculations; identify reporting anomalies and effectively communicate findings to business users
• Present data in a professional and meaningful format that is suitable for management distribution
• Continually expand knowledge and understanding of internal business rules and financial and actuarial concepts through interaction with actuaries, individual research and on-the-job training
• Create documentation and specifications for new production reports and effectively communicate related methodologies to business users and other IT staff
• Represent financial and actuarial data interests at inter-departmental meetings and work groups
Analyze and translate functional specifications and change requests into technical specifications including an estimated level of effort for the moderate sized project requests.
Contribute to the continual improvement of the department’s processes and procedures:
• Provide oversight and monitoring of production processes; ensure audit compliance of the control reporting process; assist in the resolution of production issues when they arise.
• Continually review existing processes to identify and recommend improvements in efficiency and work flow
• Continually develop technical skills in current technologies, programming languages, and departmental practices and procedures
• Evaluate the use of new technologies and methodologies to improve processes and provide enhanced business user experiences
• Expand knowledge and understanding of business/healthcare, financial and actuarial concepts through individual research, departmental contacts and on-the-job training
Provide guidance to junior staff members on their assignments under the direction of management. Mentor junior staff members on business knowledge, system peculiarities, and complex technical issues. Perform administrative duties including status reporting and self/peer/project assessments as appropriate.
Required: A college degree/certificate in Information Systems, Data Science or Computer Science or total equivalent work experience and a minimum 4 years of relevant experience which includes experience with the following technologies:
MS SQL Server 2008 or later (including DDL and DML) (4+ years)
IT structured programming/coding (e.g., VB/VBA, C#, etc.) (4+ years)
SSIS (SQL Server Integration Services) (2+ years)
Relational/Dimensional database development (2+ years)
Advanced Microsoft Excel (4+ years)
Abilities/Skills: Additionally, this position requires demonstrated proficiency and practical experience with Excel, Access, VBA, Visual Studio, SQL Server, and SSIS (SQL Server Integrated Services). Some experience with SSRS (SQL Server Reporting Services) and SSAS (SQL Server Analysis Services) is desirable. This position requires strong conceptual and quantitative skills and the ability to work independently and in small teams. Ability to work beyond regularly scheduled hours when necessary. Good oral and written communication is necessary as are strong interpersonal skills for interacting with colleagues and customers. Strong analytical and organizational skills are required.
Must be able to effectively work in a fast-paced environment with frequently changing priorities, deadlines, and workloads that can be variable for long periods of time. Must be able to meet established deadlines and handle multiple customer service demands from internal and external customers, within set expectations for service excellence. Must be able to effectively communicate and provide positive customer service to every internal and external customer, including customers who may be demanding or otherwise challenging.
Preferred: Knowledge of other software packages such as version control tools, project management tools, SQL development tools are preferred.
SSRS (SQL Server Reporting Services)
SSAS (SQL Server Analysis Services)
Oracle 10g, Oracle, SQL
Department: Actuarial Systems
Equal Employment Opportunity
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Hire Range Disclaimer
Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history.
Where To Apply
Please visit our website to apply: www.carefirst.com/careers
Please apply before: 6/10/21
Federal Disc/Physical Demand
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
The associate is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The associate must frequently talk and hear. Weights up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted.
Sponsorship in US
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship
Not finding the right job?
Stay informed about future openings by joining one of our Talent Networks!