Resp & Qualifications
Healthworx operates at the intersection of healthcare and innovation by creating, co-creating and investing in solutions that are improving healthcare quality, accessibility and affordability. As the innovation and investment arm of CareFirst, Healthworx engages the startup, early and late stage business ecosystem across the country, targeting and executing strategic opportunities that address the needs of CareFirst, its members and the national healthcare landscape.
Healthworx is seeking an Innovation Lead to be responsible for the delivery of solution sets (e.g. new products, processes, businesses, etc.) to real-world problems, challenges and opportunities of strategic interest to CareFirst. This role includes leading a small, dedicated solution development team (or “pod”) to create innovation solutions from concept to validation, serving as both a player and coach along the way. Using broad experience in user research, human-centered design techniques, lean sprints and rapid, iterative prototyping, the Lead manages the high-quality, fast-paced delivery of a pipeline of impactful solutions that address healthcare quality, access and affordability using new technologies and business models.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS / PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES:
Solution development leadership. Own development and delivery of solution sets (products, businesses, processes, etc.) from problem to proof of concept to validated minimum viable product (MVP):
• Lead day-to-day work of dedicated solution (or “pod”) team, ensuring utilization of relevant tools and techniques such as human-centered design and Lean methodologies
• Standardize market research methods and actively contribute to hypothesis development, experiment design to drive new solutions
• Lead preparation of target user personas, market sizing, journey maps to identify and prioritize user pains, unmet market needs and design principles
• Facilitate ideation sessions, customer planning, and stakeholder demo meetings to solicit feedback for product components and user experience
• Iterate on prototypes and proofs of concept to identify new potential solutions and business models for commercialization and/or internal transformation
• Develop and oversee business modeling for proposed solution(s) and partner with stakeholders such as Market Research, Strategy, Planning & Finance on inputs to business case as needed
• Identify and resolve business obstacles throughout solution discovery and development
• Create clear structure, timing, action plans, meeting cadence, recaps, presentation materials, ad hoc analyses, and other supporting materials as needed
• Build and maintain internal relationships and external resources (e.g., consultants, subject matter experts, etc.) that help facilitate rapid, iterative experimentation
• Lead cross functional teams (including Healthworx resources, CareFirst associates and external partners) and drive progress towards milestones and deliverables
• Lead collaboration, facilitate sprint activities, and translate business needs into executable requirements. Work closely with business stakeholders, and technical teams to understand, analyze, refine, prioritize, and communicate needs to ensure full understanding of solution scope, objectives, and requirements
People management: Recruit, manage, and mentor members of the core solution development team; creating a high performance, innovative, collaborative and continuous learning culture. Act as a player and coach in solution development, supporting specialists on the team.
Data-driven strategic recommendations: Recommend and capture key metrics, outcomes, and measures of solution validation at each stage of development and cycle (Research, Design, Development, Beta test, etc.). Leverage these outputs to recommend to governance bodies (Healthworx and CareFirst leaders) whether to advance the solution to a next stage, pivot, or discontinue, etc.
Other duties as identified, occasional travel (post-COVID)
Education: Bachelor's degree in Design, Business, Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering or equivalent
Years of Experience: 10 years experience working in an innovation role – at a specialized consulting firm, incubator, accelerator, venture studio, a design firm, and/or within a corporate innovation team OR 10 years in a product development, product strategy, or a startup leadership role with oversight of multiple concurrent initiatives and teams of direct and indirect reports, preferably experience building tech solutions
• Prior experience working in Startup/Incubator environment, Product Teams, Digital Agencies, Corporate Innovation, and/or Strategy Consulting
• Prior experience in heavily regulated industries, tech, healthcare or other digital companies and early ventures
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Strategic thinker with the ability to build and execute innovative solution sets (e.g. digital, tech, process or otherwise), combined with tactical ability to execute simultaneously against multiple competing priorities
Strong project management skills. Must be able to provide structure, be proactive, navigate ambiguity, manage stakeholders, hold others accountable without authority, and create appropriate professional collateral (e.g., decks, white papers, design briefs, project plans, etc.)
Leading cross functional teams and extracting the best from each team member, ability to leverage change management best practices to mitigate resistance, Track record of taking action “getting things done” with minimal guidance
Exceptional communication, active listening, critical thinking, and presentation skills
Passionate about the healthcare innovation, following trends, attending events, etc.
Ability to actively communicate with, inspire and motivate all levels of staff
Ability to work and manage initiatives independently. Ability to work independently without supervision and navigate day-to-day decision making
Experience working with teams comprised of a variety of skills (research, experience design, software development, marketing, project management, data and technical operations)
Ability to network with key contacts within and outside CareFirst and create formal networks with key decision makers
Proficiency in Microsoft Office packages and common innovation tools (e.g. Jira, AirTable, Mural, Mentimeter, etc.)
Department: Healthworx Infrastructure
Equal Employment Opportunity
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Hire Range Disclaimer
Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history.
Where To Apply
Please visit our website to apply: www.carefirst.com/careers
Please apply before: 6/18/21
Federal Disc/Physical Demand
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
The associate is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The associate must frequently talk and hear. Weights up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted.
Sponsorship in US
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship
Not finding the right job?
Stay informed about future openings by joining one of our Talent Networks!