Resp & Qualifications
As the corporate venture, development, and commercialization arm of CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield, Healthworx is building a portfolio of investments and strategic partnerships with forward-thinking organizations. We are not just reimagining healthcare for the future, we are actively transforming the way it is delivered, supported, and experienced today.
As part of this effort, the Venture Capital Manager will play a key role in sourcing and evaluating new investment opportunities, executing on investment theses, and supporting our portfolio companies. The ideal candidate will be eager to deploy their investing experience to advance our thinking on how innovative technologies and business models can transform healthcare and improve the quality, convenience, and affordability of care for our members.
By joining Healthworx, the Manager will become part of a small team of driven, optimistic individuals seeking to improve healthcare - for our members and the world at large. Combining diverse backgrounds, viewpoints, life experiences, and skillsets we seek to be a proactive agent of meaningful change. We are results-driven, constantly learning, unyieldingly curious, radically candid, and consistently humbled by scale of the challenge ahead.
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES: The Venture Capital Manager will take on a broad role on our team, including the following responsibilities:
• Seek out new investment opportunities. Balance our thematic and opportunistic sourcing efforts to gain early visibility of potential investments. Use a strong personal network to nurture relationships and structure dependable syndicates.
• Evaluate potential investment opportunities. Structure, coordinate, and synthesize comprehensive due diligence processes with multiple stakeholders. Uncover what makes our future portfolio companies special and how we can help de-risk their path forward.
• Execute investments, including deal structuring and negotiation, financial modeling, and investment committee presentations.
• Engage with the entrepreneurial ecosystem. Manage ongoing relationships with funds in which Healthworx is an limited partner. Expand the Healthworx presence and reputation among company executives, venture capitalists, service providers, and others. Be an authentic voice for Healthworx’s mission and vision and build meaningful, lasting relationships.
• Support Healthworx portfolio companies. Act as a true partner to, and advocate for, management teams as they navigate the entrepreneurial journey.
• Engage with CareFirst leadership. Build strong relationships across multiple areas of the organization and serve as a trusted advisor on topics of innovation and engaging with the venture ecosystem.
Required Education and Experience:
• Bachelors Degree
• 7+ years of venture capital, management consulting, investment banking, product management, business development with a technology company, or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Abilities:
• Strategic thinking and a penchant for uncovering what is important
• Developed financial, quantitative, and analytical skills
• Exceptional communication, active listening, critical thinking, and presentation skills
• Track record of venture deal execution or support at the Series A through C stage
• Strong network in healthcare innovation and investment
• Curiosity, passion, humor, and humility
• MBA, JD, or Master’s degree in a health-related discipline
Equal Employment Opportunity
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Hire Range Disclaimer
Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history.
Where To Apply
Please visit our website to apply: www.carefirst.com/careers
Please apply before: 7.2.21
Federal Disc/Physical Demand
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
The associate is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The associate must frequently talk and hear. Weights up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted.
Sponsorship in US
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship
Not finding the right job?
Stay informed about future openings by joining one of our Talent Networks!