Resp & Qualifications
This entry level position is responsible for the attainment, effective management, and profitability of a designated book of business. This position utilizes underwriting judgment and exercises a level of authority. Pricing concessions are permitted up to the designated level of authority without further review. This position works closely with Sales and Account Management to ensure that client needs are met. This position will support the Small Group book of business (2-50).
- Works closely with the Account Manager and Underwriting Manager to provide alternate benefit plans, risk and/or funding arrangements. Update appropriate billing rate files, contracts, internal databases, etc. Complete the renewal process on smaller accounts with assistance from senior underwriter, consultant or management.
- Support attainment of corporate sales and profitability goals through the completion of new business quotes (e.g. demographics, claims experience, benefit levels, contribution strategy, carrier history, etc.) and the development of appropriate new business rates. Apply underwriting judgement when appropriate with assistance from management.
- Produces and monitors the issuance of Underwriting departmental reports for both internal management and external customers, such as Form 5500 reporting and Performance Guarantee reporting for larger accounts. Utilizes available data to isolate specific elements of account benefit plan performance and to support required rate actions as requested. Participate and have an active role in department special projects, while embracing change in a positive manner.
- Monitor financial performance of assigned book of business to provide advance notice of potential adverse outcomes to Underwriting Department management. Provide technical expertise and support to Account Managers regarding potential benefit changes and/or alternatives available to the account. Ensure account performance is accurately reflected on corporate financial statements and forecasts.
- Provide support to Sales and Account Management staff on Underwriting related issues. Provide support to Finance, Legal, Operations, etc. as requested. Communicating and negotiating directly with prospects, existing accounts, brokers & consultants (with assistance from Management).
- Participate in formal and informal training activities to develop and enhance knowledge of underwriting methodologies, funding options, products, legislation, CareFirst competitors, and to ensure compliance with corporate and departmental policies. Participation in internal and external courses, becoming proficient in new underwriter tools and applications and continuing to improve computer skills.
Education Level: Bachelor's Degree
In Lieu of Education
In lieu of a Bachelor's degree, an additional 4 years of relevant work experience is required in addition to the required work experience.
- It is desirable that the individual has a minimum of two years experience in the health insurance industry but not required
- Good written and oral communications skills, excellent negotiation skills, excellent analytical acumen, strong math aptitude.,
- Individual should possess PC skills, and be familiar with Microsoft suite of products,
Equal Employment Opportunity
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Hire Range Disclaimer
Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history.
Where To Apply
Please visit our website to apply: www.carefirst.com/careers
Please apply before: 10.14.2021
Federal Disc/Physical Demand
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
The associate is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The associate must frequently talk and hear. Weights up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted.
Sponsorship in US
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship