Our Commitment to Our Community
"Doing the physical activities, being outside, helping the community – those things foster teamwork and commitment among the associates and help to link us directly with the community we serve."
– Michelle Powell, Vice President
Caring for Our Community
CareFirst is dedicated to addressing health care disparities that exist in our communities. We strive to improve health care access and quality, providing resources and funding to strengthen those we serve.
Through CareFirst Commitment and other charitable giving, from 2006 to 2015, we have dedicated $493 million to worthwhile regional programs and organizations.
Annually, we award grants to an average of 400 programs and recipients in the following focus areas:
- Improving maternal and child health
- Expanding access to behavioral health
- Empowering the region’s safety net clinics
- Addressing the region’s shortage of nurses
- Promoting the patient-centered medical home concept
We are one of the largest employers in the region; our associates live, work and volunteer in our members’ communities. Every day, our CareFirst associates work hard to make the communities we serve better, healthier places to live.
In 2015 alone, our associate volunteers:
- Logged nearly 18,000 volunteer hours in support of a variety of organizations such as Marian House, March of Dimes, Maryland Food Bank, Brigance Brigade, Project Liberty Ship, Big Brothers Big Sisters and Food & Friends.
- Hit the pavement to raise more than $75,000 during the 2015 Walks for Life campaign to support the American Cancer Society, American Diabetes Association, American Heart Association and the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.
- Donated time and talents to the Crohn’s and Colitis Fund, the Lupus Foundation of America, Autism Speaks, St. Jude Research Hospital and the National Alliance on Mental Illness, to name a few.
- Contributed $1.3 million in employee donations and company matching grants to United Way organizations in Maryland, Washington, D.C., Virginia and West Virginia.
Our Community Partnerships